The British Invasion- 19th Century Art (1/2)

Discussion in 'Art' started by techbiker, Jul 27, 2022.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Although it took serious work, I was fortunate enough to purchase 9 19th century British paintings from southern England. I'm going to split this into two threads given the volume. Have you heard/read anything about the following paintings or their artists? Did I waste my money? Are they charming, intriguing, bland, ugly? As always, please pardon my potato camera. It doesn't capture small details well. Happy to whip out the DSLR if you'd like. Thank you in advance!

Richard Principal Leitch watercolor- Ruined Castle, 1870? The detail in this watercolor is wonderful. 33"x28" frame size. Has a 1988 Bonhams auction note on verso (I'm reaching out to Bonhams). Need to test the pH of the mount, touch up the frame, and replace the aperture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The Charge" by Stanley L Wood. In Gouache, heightened with white. I almost fell back in my chair when I first saw this. Ghost pirates, awesome! Google the title and artist for a better image (still in protector). Roughly 7-1/2"x11". Already have a frame on order for this.

[​IMG]

19th Century English School Oil Painting. Apparently unsigned. Canvas on board. 33.5cm x 46cm. This painting is in a dinky frame, behind glass, and incredibly dirty. I suspect it was reframed in the first half of the 20th century. I'm hoping that it will clean up easily. Do you think this was painted by an experienced artist?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"R Percy". A pair of 19th century oils on canvas. It looks like someone wrote "R.A." after the names in marker at some point. lol. These seem well done and are clean. About 27"x21" frame size for each.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for your input. More to come!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Roaring20s and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO FAR, All Lovely!!!!!!!

techbiker likes this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    techbiker and wlwhittier like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

LOVE the ghost pirates. Captain Jack Sparrow would highly approve.

Aquitaine and techbiker like this.
  5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I assume you live in the U.S.? The shipping must have been insane! I really like the Pirates. I am a fan of 19th/18th century English watercolors too, especially if there is a cow in the pic.

techbiker likes this.
  6. Lithographer

There is an R. Percy listed in Davenports. 19th Century, Britain, Landscapes and Farms. 20x30 $552. A couple records from 1989 (Leslie Hindman Auctions) and 1994 (Christie’s New York)

techbiker likes this.
  7. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Yup. Shipping was almost as much as the art itself. I had to work with a courier service to pick up the pieces and mail them. Fortunately, customs were included in the shipping rate. I had to place 2 long distance calls at 3am CT and another 2 at 9am CT to make payments and coordinate. Didn't realize that Verizon now charges $3/min for international calls... Whoops. Switched to Skype ASAP. This was all economical only because the dollar is quite strong now.

I'll post a better picture of the pirates in the antique walnut frame I ordered. I'm thinking about using museum glass and an archival mount with a dark grey aperture to make it as dramatic as possible.

Thank you for the information! Do you have links to any of those records? It seems there may have been a couple artists going by the name "R Percy".

8. Lithographer

Dates are 9/10/89 and 7/12/94. No links, info is from a physical book. You can check the auction house websites and see if they have their records online.

techbiker likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Depending on what you paid, probably not. I see merit in all of these.

techbiker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted