Teeny-Tiny 10kt gold Victorian baby ring :)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Shangas, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teeny-Tiny 10kt Gold Victorian-era infant's ring. With garnet (middle) and pearls (either side).

Not hallmarked. Gold-purity determined by auction-house. Does have engravings of initials inside the ring.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

To comply with the law in your country you would need to send it to the Adelaide Assay Office (Victoria) for it to be tested and correctly hallmarked.
    But you don`t know where it was from and it is not really worth the trouble.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Shangas

Ah. In that case, never mind. It's still nice. And it's been certified 10k gold. I guess that's good enough.

I've communicated with a friend of mine who had 10 years' experience as a jeweler. He said that it was common for gold pieces before Australian federation (1901) to be 10 or 15kt and unmarked. Since this is Victorian, it's definitely pre-Fed, and so likely 10kt.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That may not have been a baby ring; it looks more like one for an adult woman. They built 'em tiny back then, and size 4 and even 3 rings weren't all that uncommon.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Very pretty.

How'd you get it to stand up like that? Some sort of sticky stuff?

6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I have seen some of the restoration work shangas has done - I think it's magic holding that ring up. :happy:

Shangas and tie.dye.cat like this.
  7. Shangas

If they made this for an adult, then they made it for an anorexic. It is absolutely minuscule. I've seen at least four or five other ones online which are all I.Ded as Victorian infant rings. It's what the folks at the auction-house I.Ded it as as well. I see no reason to disagree with six different opinions.

No sticky stuff!! I just balanced it on its rim, and took the photographs. Trust me, it wasn't easy!!

spirit-of-shiloh and tie.dye.cat like this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

9. Shangas

What's your point?

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

To show examples of other Victorian star baby rings. I'm not saying yours isn't a baby ring. If anything I thought it might be added evidence that it was. Also most like to see other examples of what they have for ideas of descriptions when selling. I'm sorry, if you thought I was criticizing, if anything, it was quite the opposite.

--- Susan

spirit-of-shiloh and komokwa like this.
  11. Shangas

Thanks, Susan. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It's just that in other places I've shown this ring, it's stirred up...Well they called it 'lively debate'...over whether it was in fact a Victorian infant's ring or not, which I'm more than convinced it is. I've had it checked by two jewelers (one of whom is a personal friend) and they both said it was 10kt gold. And one of them I.Ded it as a child's/baby's ring.

Frankly I don't wanna meet the woman who can wear this thing, because her fingers will look like chopsticks.

12. Shangas

Not that they mean anything, but can anyone I.D. the letters engraved inside the ring? I'm not even sure which way is up. The first/last letter is an M or a W. I dunno what the other two are, but I think they're identical.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  13. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

MLL? (if you rotate it)

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree with quirkygirl.

15. Shangas

Yes MLL was the consensus on another website as well. :)

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Third vote for MLL --

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& you go there 1st ??? Phshaww !!!:p:p

18. Shangas

Well actually I came here first, but they got the answer faster.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

beginners luck......:woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted