Taxco? Mark on Hands Chocker?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 26, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I've seen a few of these chockers online in different iterations, and they all speak to a Taxco origin. I'm fully aware that this is a common design and could come from anywhere. I think it is silver because it cleaned up like silver. The price was very low as it needed repair to the hinge, which kept popping out.

At first, I thought I would put it in my junk silver box for melting, but I looked online and I saw that it might be worth repairing. Gulp. It needed a new hinge that cost 10 times what I paid for it, and 65% more that its melt value. I couldn't throw it away though, so I'm hoping it has history. The photos of the marks are pitiful. Sorry. I tried and tried.
    thumbnail_IMG_7070.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7071.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7074.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7076.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7078 1.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7078.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7077.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's enlarged and I tried to clarify the lines I could see, but not sure I did much........to ME, that might be an impossible one...

thumbnail_IMG_7077-gigapixel-lines-scale-3_00x.jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

You are terrific. Thank you so much. :kiss::kiss: This may be a lost cause. The stamp is at the end. The newer versions of this piece are clearly marked.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a post-1980 Mexico City maker's tax registration mark. Although these are probably also made in Taxco, this one is by a Mexico City maker.

Those newer registration marks are usually very difficult to identify, and this one is mostly illegible.
    And even though it is very pretty, it is a fairly generic piece, so the design can't tell us anything either. Post-1980 means not much history either.
    In this case, knowing the maker wouldn't add to the value.
    If you get it repaired it would be very wearable, but it is up to you to decide if it is worth it.

Btw, a bird tail rather than a hand? Or just a way to make the lower part less chunky and more elegant?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    reader, Bakersgma and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. Like Murano, everything appears to be Taxco in Mexican jewelry. :D:D
    I got it fixed, so I can wear it. A lot of people online called it "hand." The volunteers at the resale shop thought it was a fork. They must have been hungry. :)
    I think of it as abstract. My feeling was wind. But of course, that is one of the purposes of abstract work to evoke different feelings in different people based on their response to what is presented.

Any Jewelry and Happy! like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Great. As I said, it is very wearable. And Mexican silver, so what's not to like, right?:happy:
    :hilarious:

reader likes this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree with AJ. Sorry can’t add anything else Other than I personally would not put any significant money into it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well , if it is a hand, it giving you the finger......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Or maybe it is giving the person sitting across from you the finger.:playful: A very elegant slender finger.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'ce always thought of these as being those stylised feathered birds tails - Inca.

reader likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Inca is Peru and Ecuador, those parts.:) Aztec or Maya maybe?

reader likes this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree on feathers but not Inca. Hands are a known image though from early on with Spratling, but so are birds.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Inca, shminca. ;)

Yeah, I'm confused as ever!

Draft saved Draft deleted