Featured Taxco Jewelry Questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 11, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This first piece, an orchid, interested me. I didn't look at it until I got it home. It has a Taxco and a silversmiths mark on it, but I couldn't find the link you all gave me with the names attached to the registration marks. Could someone give me the link again. I promise to save it this time.

The second piece is a bracelet similar to the one I posted here - Mexican Silver Bracelet - Stone or Glass? | Page 2 | Antiques Board (antiquers.com). At that time, then member, Kathy Anderson, suggested it might be Taxco. It is marked Sterling Mexico. I recognize that there is no guarantee that it is even silver, as @Marie Forjan points out, but I liked it because it is large but not overwhelming. I know the stones are glass. There were a number of Taxco pieces donated for this sale, though mostly snagged by others quicker than I am. Any possibility that this might be pre-registration Taxco?

IMG_9164.JPG IMG_9165.JPG IMG_9168.jpg IMG_9169.jpg IMG_9167.JPG IMG_9166.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Any Jewelry, KSW, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The bracelet ??? Let's just say I have doubts. Those hinges don't generally turn up on silver pieces. "Beach silver" has them early and often. Tourists would buy "silver" from vendors on the beaches that was marked silver but really nickel.

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

As you know I have see a lot of those type bracelets and a good half of them are fraudulently marked. Please have it tested before you try to sell it!

I doubt it being from Taxco would make it more valuable or sellable. What is key is if it really is silver.

KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Marie, I think the Taxco designation was intended to differentiate it between the fake and real silver. Also as a marketing tool.

KSW likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KSW likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Kiko, I'm not sure if you saw this page with examples of the eagles used, maybe this will help you. Also will include the link to the 925 page, it has information on Mexico sterling marks:)

d9fd522f89111be45d7f2c3da5816e40.jpg

https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

7. KikoBlueEyes

No That is very interesting. Apparently, I have the newer style - 1956 to late 60's or early 70's. Thanks so much for that link. I'm save them nowadays, but back then I thought I would remember how to get to them. You are wonderful! :kiss:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    KSW and komokwa like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KSW likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Kiko, I just checked my book and DS is in there, but no ID.:(

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

AJ. Thanks very much. I saw pieces by the mysterious DS when I searched but no one said a name. Thank you for checking

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's true half the time. If you were really crazy/curious in normal times, you could go to Taxco and look the name up. They're supposed to have records.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted