Tapestry? is this wool and from any certain area or a practice piece.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Kevolee, Jul 2, 2024 at 10:03 PM.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I have this what I think is called a tapestry. The thread appears to be wool like but I guess could be synthetic. I am wondering if this is from a particular area or a certain style. The way the sections are stitched together I was also wondering if it may be a practice piece. It measures about 22 1/2" by 8". Thanks in advance for any ideas.

tap6.jpg tap2.jpg tap3.jpg tap4.jpg tap5.jpg tap1.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

@Kevolee, would you be kind enough to go back and repost your photographs as Full Image instead of Thumbnail. They're too small to evaluate as is.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be a woven panel, rather than a tapestry.

Debora

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree that it is a woven panel, definitely not a tapestry.
    As already mentioned, your photos are much too small for proper evaluation.

5. Kevolee

Not sure what happened. I'll see what I can do.

6. Kevolee

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Tapestries are often thought of only in terms of large pictorial weavings. But the technique used to weave your small piece is the same technique as used in larger tapestries. I agree that it might be a sort of sampler - a (perhaps) novice weaver trying out a variety of methods and patterns. Wool would be the traditional fiber, but it is not possible to tell from photographs.

Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  8. Kevolee

Yes, I could probably tell but it’s under glass in a frame. It’s hard to see but that’s a bird toward the top. It has some thinner threads and some with what looks like glitter embedded. It’s the most interesting part.

Draft saved Draft deleted