Featured Tang horses?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wolfcreekgal, Aug 27, 2021.

1. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

Just got these home from auction. Bidding went pretty high, but I finally got them! Per consignor they were purchased in Hong Kong and are authentic Tang pieces. I've done well with Pre-Columbian artifacts and I pray I did well with these! Any opinions would be of utmost appreciation! IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1590 (1).JPG IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1600.JPG

kyratango, KSW and mmarco102 like this.
  2. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

I might also add both horses are missing an ear and there is red clay underneath the first horses missing ear and a sort of dark tan underneath the second horses missing ear. Also, horse and rider #1 had a hand glued back on and #2 is missing an arm? Looks too short to have been made that way. That guy appears to have been holding a spear at one point as well, but I could be wrong.

judy likes this.
  3. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

4. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum wolfcreekgal. No expert here, but from what I do know is there are probably more reproductions out there then authentic Tang Horses. That is not to say yours are repos. Very difficult to tell with photos. Thermoluminescence testing will be the only confirmation you can bank on. I personally own several and while I can be sure of a few repos I own, the others are still up in the air. Here is a reputable website link for Chinese antiques that might give you good insight.
    https://gotheborg.com/qa/tang.shtml

They are very nice and will display the same. Crossing fingers you did good. :)

kyratango, KSW and judy like this.
  5. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

Thanks mmarco! I already did the water, peroxide and acetone tests in inconspicuous tiny areas. The manganese fizzes up and the paint does not come off. Water immediately dissipates and leaves a dark spot for several minutes. I think I'm good to go!

KSW, judy and mmarco102 like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I think the arm is there just bend with sleeve over arm so only hand shows.

7. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

Yes Lark, the little fellow DOES have an arm! I looked again after seeing your post. I might add that I was doing research on them today and looked carefully with a flashlight at the inside of them. They are really clean looking to me. Could someone have washed them out? Shouldn't they have dirt, cob webs or something?

8. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if someone here could tell me if it would be worth TL testing them. I am well aware there a lot of fakes out there and very good ones too. I don't want to invest any more in these if there is any indication they are forgeries. Thanks again!

9. mmarco102

IMO, unless you are intending to sell, the TL test probably won't get you the bang for your buck. That said if you intent to sell, if a repo, you stand to lose but if authentic you may fair very well. Its a gamble. Currently the demand for Tang Horses are not what they were, probably due to the over saturation from China excavating everywhere and reproductions galore. Further, if you intend to add them to your collection, if authentic the true value should hold or better moving forward, with or without the test. Just a few thoughts...

10. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

Thanks again, Marco! I do plan to sell them once I verify they are genuine. No way would I spend that kind of money on myself!

mmarco102 likes this.
  11. mmarco102

You may want to reach out to a local museum or College/University historical dept to get a eyes on opinion before going TL. Send emails with HD photos to reputable multiple auction houses for input. Most have more experience with this item.

Good Luck

12. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

I truly appreciate all of your input! I sent pics to Christie's, but never thought of a College. Great idea!

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. wolfcreekgal

wolfcreekgal New Member

Well, I found out they are almost definitely musicians from the period of the rule of Wu Zetian (690-705 A.D.), the only empress China ever had. I'm reading all about her now!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted