Featured Tacoma Art Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potteryplease, Jul 1, 2024 at 7:37 PM.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Hi all! I'm here at the end of my 2-week summer kick-off bicycle tour, and as a little bit of a celebration for completing it, I bought myself this large 'TAP' vase by David Keyes.

It's 14" tall (!), and 8"+ wide.

It wasn't exactly 'cheap,' but it was marked down and I got another 10% off for paying cash. I paid a fraction of what I think it's worth.

I don't really have questions; I just wanted to share, but I always welcome any comments of any kind.

Thanks for looking, and I'll throw in a couple pics at the end of this post, from the part of my bicycle ride up to the top of Glacier National Park in Montana, USA.

IMG_0264.jpeg IMG_0265.jpeg IMG_0266.jpeg IMG_0267.jpeg IMG_0268.jpeg

And here's some scenery from the 'Going-to-the-Sun' road. (I was there on a nice day!)

IMG_0269.jpeg IMG_0270.jpeg IMG_0271.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 7:45 PM
    cfh, johnnycb09, kentworld and 17 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice item. Thnnks for the glorious photos, we need to see how nature makes life so much better.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice pottery...&
    baby u can ride my bike !!!!!!:happy::happy:

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very nice all round. Beautiful scenery and vase.. Thanks for sharing

5. Potteryplease

It is definitely therapeutic! Even when it's less than ideal (or at least how I would prefer it), it ends up being great in the end.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024 at 11:06 PM
  6. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

Love the vase! I haven't been to Glacier in many years...I've got to go back!

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hercules wears a lions skin & Alexander the Great used the same imagery:

Alexander stater hoof-paw.jpg

8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Sounds like an amazing experience. I miss having outdoor adventure. I’ll have to climb out of my adventure free rut someday soon. Your fun is inspirational!

I read the title as Acoma and was pretty confused when I saw the pottery. I love the pot though! That’s in my favorite color glaze range and figural handles are my favorite. If that wound up with me I’d have a very hard time letting it go. Is the maker collected?

johnnycb09, crowleys, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning vase and stunning views of Glacier National Park, thank you for sharing both with us.:happy:

10. Potteryplease

He seems to be locally known, at least. He was an art professor at a university in Tacoma WA, which is just south of Seattle and a couple few hours from me.

My pleasure, truly!

J Dagger, johnnycb09, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  11. Potteryplease

Thank you for that bit of info--- that adds to it for me.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice pot and spectacular scenery. I regret not making it to Glacier on my big circle tour of the National parks I took about 25 years ago. Found a sweet spot in the Tetons/Yellowstone area and stayed an extra week. Decided Glacier was too far to head up to with the limited time I had left. My 4 week tour had already turned into 8 weeks and I could not justify it. Never say never but I somehow think I won't be making it up there in this lifetime.

13. Potteryplease

My wife and I went to Glacier NP on our honeymoon, and then again with the kids for our 15th anniversary.

Yellowstone and Tetons are nice too of course. I worked at Yellowstone for a season once (in a restaurant).

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

That's a big 'un and I love that glaze and the figural handles. And yet, I have not heard of Tacoma pottery before, but I don't live too far away as the crow flies (but the crow would have to cross the border, LOL!) Great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted