T.F. & S. Ltd - Phoenix China - Longton, England - Model: Tring

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Sep 27, 2024 at 12:54 PM.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

About four weeks ago I bought this lovely porcelain tea set made by Thomas Forester & Sons Ltd for a mere €10:

6-off Cups
    11-off Saucers
    9-off Side plates

According to the Mark suggests they were made between 1912 and 1925. The gilding on cup handles is slightly worn, otherwise the pieces are generally free of excessive signs of use.

B.jpg

P.jpg

G.jpg

C.jpg

The only damage is to two cups, although I think they were caused by stress during the manufacturing process. The first one is 1.5cm crack that is behind the varnish, and only appears within the bowl, and hasn't progressed through to outside surface.

AG.jpg

The other is a ring-crack round the handle. This too, is underneath the varnish and there are no signs of a repair.

AF.jpg

AE.jpg

Lovely though they are I propose selling them as six sets of three items.

How do I explain those cracks, blemishes, etc. Thanks for your experiences with this type of problem.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 1:00 PM
    komokwa likes this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Sorry I can't answer your question, but...

what is meant by "off"?

3. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I've used the term "off" ever since I started work in engineering 69-years ago. On a drawing the number of items used is always referred to as X-off. What would use?

komokwa likes this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I simply would have said:
    6 cups
    11 saucers
    9 side plates

But then I've never trained in engineering. :)

Brian Warshaw and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted