Symbology on bird pendant?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by terry5732, May 15, 2017.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Bronze that used to be gold plated. Same image both sides. I'd guess to represent a stork.
    bird 003.JPG bird 001.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sort of Egyptian: you've an ankh there.

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Likely an ibis; and I'm guessing not terribly old, perhaps from one of the "Egyptian revival" periods, or modern hippie-era even.
    The "hieroglyphs" don't look like actual Egyptian, to me.

Ladybranch likes this.
  4. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Looks worn with a green tinge, maybe old

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Agree, an ibis. There are 2 ibis hieroglyphs. One is the sacred ibis that is standing more or less straight up, as well as an ibis can stand straight. This ibis sometimes represents the God Thorh, the god of scribes. The other is a feeding ibis with head and neck down like searching for food. This ibis symbolizes searching, discovering. The one on the pendant looks like the sacred ibis. Then there is an ankh that symbolizes life. This arrow looks nothing like the arrow hieroglyphs. I have no idea about the others. I can't find anything like them in the standard list of Egyptian hieroglyphs. I suspect they may be fake, fantasy.

--- Susan

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, I think 70s revival hippy.

Draft saved Draft deleted