Sword

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Fateh Falcon, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Fateh Falcon

Fateh Falcon New Member

View attachment 458594 View attachment 458595 View attachment 458596 View attachment 458597

Hello everyone,
    My friend bought this sword because he liked it.
    After showing it to me, I search for what is wrote in the sword and guess that it is a valuable historical sword dating back to the nineteenth century, engraved with the coat of arms of the Russian Empire and handcrafted specifically for a famous Russian commander (his name is engraved on the other side of the sword's hilt.) This commander has a herotism in Napolion's war .
    View attachment 458598 The sheath of the sword also contains distinctive and meticulously done engravings. The method of making the sword and the engravings on it make it beautiful and distinctive, indicating its historical value and making it a rare piece. I am not expert in antiques and these items My friend wants to confirm the quality of the item and its approximate value so he can sell it. please help

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Fateh. It is a sabre rather than a sword imo.
    I'll tag some knowledgeable members for you: @komokwa @the blacksmith .

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  3. Any Jewelry

4. Fateh Falcon

Fateh Falcon New Member

welcome too, thank you for help

NewEngland and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not one I've seen before...
    I think the 1st word is Moscow....

my 1st impression is a ceremonial blade...or presentation piece ....
    but i've yet to do a deep dive....

@Roaring20s ...your searching skills are required.....;)

& @sabre123 gets tagged ....cuz...u no !!!:playful:

i need help, sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Agree. Tagging @IvaPan as well.:)

komokwa, i need help and Fateh Falcon like this.
  7. komokwa

it resembles an Ottoman Kilij.........but the eagle pommel is ?????

i need help and Fateh Falcon like this.
  8. komokwa

Who won and lost the Russian campaign 1812 1813?

The only major battle of the campaign, at Borodino on 7 September 1812, ended with a territorial gain for Napoleon but at a very high cost. Napoleon's army eventually reached a Moscow abandoned and destroyed by the Russian army based on the scorched-earth policy.

I don't know if this relates to the weapon...

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Google says the first word in cyrillic is "Donsk" (which might be current Ukrainian Donetsk), but can't suggest a translation for the rest of the text.

upload_2023-10-24_12-54-46.png

10. Fateh Falcon

Fateh Falcon New Member

Yes, it relates to that war. The name of (Count Matvei Platov )is engraved on the sword, one of the Russian leaders who fought Napoleon and expelled him from Moscow. He assumed leadership of the Cossack tribes from 1812 to 1814 and was decorated with many medals and emblems, including a golden sword in London, but this sword is his award. It was lit in recognition of his role in defeating Napoleon, but where and when???!!

Sedona, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I did an OCR from an image of the text, but it didn't catch the top. It came up with "Glorifying" for the bottom word. Not sure how accurate that is.

i need help, Fateh Falcon and komokwa like this.
  12. Fateh Falcon

Fateh Falcon New Member

It means (Don of Cossack from 1812-1814)
    Platov was the Don of Cossack from 1812-1814)

i need help, sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. komokwa

In 1812, Platov supported General Bagration's 2nd Western Army with a Cossack corps at the Korelichi engagement, at Mir and at Romanovo, providing the rear guard during their retreat towards Mogilyov. During the Russian counter-attack at Smolensk Platov fought at Molevo Boloto. At the Battle of Borodino he, together with General of Cavalry Fyodor Uvarov, conducted a manoeuver against the French left (northern) flank, but failed to effectively threaten the French, resulting in Platov not receiving a decoration for the battle although ironically it was later disclosed that this raid had a dramatic effect on Napoleon, causing him to hold back the French Imperial Guard.[2] He hounded the French during their retreat from Moscow in 1812, (for which he received the title of Count of the Russian Empire), and again after their defeat at the Battle of Leipzig 1813 in Saxony (see Battle of Altenberg, 28 September 1813).

I.m now considering a commemorative sabre, rather than a military one...

IvaPan, Sedona, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. komokwa

I do not think so...... different hilt and blade tip..

i need help likes this.
  16. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi friends and sorry for being absent for so long!

The words say "Don's (Donskaya) Glory (Slava) 1812-1814" or "The Glory of Don 1812-1814" "Донская слава 1812-1814" which relates the sabre to the Napoleon war in Russia and the Cossacks participation in it. The Russians call this war "Motherland War of 1812" or "Patriotic War of 1812" to distinguish from The Great Patriotic War 1941-1945 with Nazi Germany.

The "Don" of cossacks (if the word Don is meant to be the chief of cossacks) is called "Ataman/Атаман" in Russian, and Don here is the name of the river Don along which the main part of cossacks resided in the Russian Empire.

I don't see any name of a person on the photos provided. Edit: indeed the name of Ataman Count Platov is engraved on the round spot on the hilt, along the rim, I looked only at the blade inscription, my mistake.

Platov was Ataman of Cossacks from 1801 till his death in early 1818 and indeed was renowned in the war with Napoleon but I don't see his name on the sward or sabre (edit, I saw it, see above) I am no expert in weaponry and cannot tell if it is commemorative or military

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

so a tribute piece , not of the period....imo

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Researched a bit about Platov's sabre(s) which were given to him as gifts for his participation in campaigns. There are three of them:

- the first one is presented to him by Ekaterina II for his participation in Persian campaign (1796), and apart from his monogram it is also decorated with natural diamonds and emeralds, and its hilt is made of pure gold. Now it is kept in Novocherkask Cossacks Museum

- the second one is the London one, it bears the monogram of Platov and the coat of arms of London. Also it bears a long inscription "To Count Platov for his courage....." Not similar. to this piece;

- the third one is his father's shashka made in 1763, with which Platov participated in the Napoleon war of 1812, and it has the personal monogram of Ekaterina II and the two-headed eagle engraved.

None of the three seems anyhow similar to the piece shown here, and none of them bears the name of Platov written as on this piece.

From here:
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сабля_атамана_Платова

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted