Swiss 935 silver pocket watch?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Wainui_Panda, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Wainui_Panda

Wainui_Panda New Member

Hey everyone, I have an old half hunter pocket watch. I am trying to identify it as best I can but it is a little hard.

Watch case has 3 bears stamped (possibly swiss), with a 0.935 stamp, the number 9 below the bears, possible serial number of 2412414 and the letter Z stamped above that serial number.

I think the clock dial is enamel and has no markings.

The movement dust cover has the same markings as the watch case and the movement has Elsinore K swiss non-magnetic stamped. The K is between 2 large Xs.

I don't think I can provide anymore detail than that.

Is someone able to help me narrow down age or make or something?

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Welcome Wainui, please always include measurements and photos.

Here are instructions to upload your photos, please be sure to click "Full Size" on the little thumbnails, once loaded and before hitting "post":
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

A quick tip on posting photos if you are using a smart phone. . .email them to yourself as 'medium' and it should resize them. Photos have to be under 1MB to post.

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Without seeing several, high-quality photos of the watch, there's nothing we can tell you about it.

But 935 is the Swiss standard for silver, as far as I recall.

i need help, Wainui_Panda and Bronwen like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the normal standard for watch cases was 875 with one bear. Z is for the assy office of Zurich.
    as the Swiss exported to differing markets they simply added small bears to the big one. sometimes one, sometimes two if it was for England with their 925 and added another tenner in the marking to make sure the English accepted it as sterling. if there were another ten of silver in it was anybody's guess.

Wainui_Panda likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Wainui_Panda

Wainui_Panda New Member

Hi thank you for this. What measurements in particular are helpful?
    The overall case, the clock face, the mechanism for the movement?

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what you show here is either Swiss with German import mark - they also tested when later sold on to the Russian market - or nonsense of the Chinese replica brand "trusty".

8. komokwa

not chinese..sir.

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

why showing an item that has no connection with the question ?

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He wouldn't be the first to show something that has little or no connection to the question. Common practice here.;)
    [​IMG]

It is really gorgeous, @komokwa , but I do indeed see German marks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    the lying dog was already used by Schwob Frères in the 1880s in La-Chaux-de-Fond.
    former Adolf changed his first name to Adolphe; most probably one of the brothers or nephews.
    Cyma was registered in New York on 20.8.1918.

12. komokwa

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. komokwa

I 'm prone to making a mistake , y'know.....in an effort to further a discussion !

Sew:hilarious::hilarious: Me !!

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

there's another problem. there were two Cyma compaines at least.
    furthmore. the Schwob family - originally from Basel - were a bunch of wild; they bought a fabrication in Chaux-de-Fond, opnened a store in Geneva and another one in Paris. lived in Paris till they went bankrupt at the start of the 20th c. due to "problems" with a luxury brand - Patek fakes- and seem to have been disappeared for a few years. what better place to go to than the US ? ;) and open a "new" company with their knowledge ?
    it was absolutely normal after WWI with all the restrictions on the markets to have a few Swiss sent over to assemble watches of disassembled parts to circumvent the prohibitive tariffs and taxes on import. so it might well be that they were partly produced in Switzerland, partly in the US, and afterwards exported back to Europe.
    as said before, the lying dog was already used as mark when they were still a proper Swiss company.

komokwa likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I've got the needle.....get me some HEAVY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

stitched pumpkin-very_compressed.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Wainui_Panda, are you NOT able to post images???? OR are you getting a message "File size too large"?? Help US to Help YOU!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted