Featured Swedish brooch, is it gold or gilt? Who is the maker?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all! I have done a bit of research and so far found out that this brooch is Swedish from Goteborg and dates to 1894. It is testing as 10K which is confusing because there are no gold or silver marks and a similar example says it's gilt silver? I can't find the maker, looks like either S&L or G&L. Any info appreciated! IMG_20240207_181442_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_20240207_181537_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_20240207_181636_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg IMG_20240207_181656_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

svenson & luhr?

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting brooch!! Could you open the pin so we can see what's written clearly?? It would probably help more in ID-ing it! Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Elen Beattie likes this.
  4. Elen Beattie

Oh, maybe? I can't find much about them but I will keep looking, thank you!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Made of buttons, or made to look like it was? That was a fashion for a while.

Aquitaine and Elen Beattie like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, I zoomed in a bit, and kept it nice & sharp, but my eyes aren't sure if that first mark on the left "looks" like it's a '3 & E or L', with something above the circled 'G' and I 'think' last mark is 'Q..but can't decipher what's next to it....at first I thought 'Q 6', but now not sure that's a '6'.........you might see better with a loupe?

EnhancedIMG_20240207_181656_(1080_x_1080_pixel)-topaz-enhance-2x-sharpen.jpeg

7. Elen Beattie

Hi! Yes I have determined that the G with crown on top is the town mark- Goteborg and the Q6 is the date letter for 1894. I'll take another pic tomorrow of the maker's mark with pin up :)

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

The marks are Swedish silver marks, indeed, so it is gilt silver from Göteborg, dated 1894, like you already found out.

Maybe the three crowns are obscured under the disk, like the first maker’s initial. I guessed it might be B but couldn’t find a B&L, S&L or G&L in the Swedac records in Göteborg. They may not go that far in time.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    Figtree3 and Elen Beattie like this.
  9. Elen Beattie

Great, thanks for the info!

10. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

11. Finnclouds

Figtree3, Elen Beattie and Marote like this.
  12. Elen Beattie

Marote likes this.
  13. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Apparently similar button brooches were also popular in the Netherlands
    https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/1477106689/antieke-zeeuwse-knoop-broche-spel-zilver

It did indeed take some time to find this. After many other useless Google searches, I found this site but with the 1860 book. Went through the index and didn't find anything usefull. Not thinking it would work, I then replaced the year in the URL, and to my surprise it did give this result (does indeed take a lot of time to load). Scrolled through the pages to the index, and looked under G and S if there was any company with G/S(...) & (or 'och') L(...), and Svenson & Luhr were the only matching one of those options. Page of the book is indicated in the index, so then I just had to skip all other pages to find the ad.
    Elementary, my dear Watson :pompous:

14. Finnclouds

Thank you, Sherlock! :) Patience is not a virtue of mine; I didn’t go down far enough to see there was an index. I found another source that claimed to list all Swedish silversmiths, but they all seemed to be from the 20th C and their search was lousy so I gave up.

I wonder how much the maker’s name actually matters to buyers since they don’t tend to be household names — the approximate age would matter more to me, at least. And that’s my excuse for giving up so easily… :)

Figtree3 and Marote like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is meant to be the crown of the Gotheborg mark, but the crown shape was lost in translation.;)
    Button-based jewellery can be found all over Europe.
    The brooch you posted is part of the traditional dress of Walcheren, Zeeland.

Aquitaine, Figtree3, Marote and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted