Superman tin toy with him spinning around building. Anyone seen this one?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by sunday silence, May 24, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. sunday silence

Is 3D. I know that picture looks flat.

pearlsnblume, judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. sunday silence

well that's odd. Cause this toy came out in 1928 and superman doesnt appear until 1938. Does it look like someone reconfigured this to hold superman?

pearlsnblume, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Could be, see what others think. Does it function?

pearlsnblume, judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. sunday silence

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Reconfigured or not is the million dollar question.

I've sold Marx tin toys in the past, but have never seen this one. Thanks to INH's "Marx Daredevil flyer toy" link, I also found this which seems to be the original configuration. Who knows if they made others, though.

This link has a contact form, maybe if you don't get an answer here, you could (maybe??) email and ask the seller of the one in this link if he/she has ideas.

https://www.grandoldtoys.com/toydb_Detail.php?id=1237&S_keywords=airplane,tin litho,wind-up,building

pearlsnblume, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Cool reconfiguring. Cool toy either way.

pearlsnblume, judy and i need help like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi Sunday! It's possible that the 1928 is a typo and it should be 1938, although I'm not sure where you found the date information..

i need help, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, I think a blimp would work with that early date. And it could be that the base was used for later toy production...

i need help and judy like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very cool item. Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane! No it's SUPERMAN!!

i need help likes this.
  12. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Hey Pearlsnblume, Very cool complete toy, thanks for the link! Thought, wow that would look great on my shelf until I saw the price (big gulp!) :)

13. sunday silence

THe link, I believe the one you posted from Grand Old Toys, mentions the date almost all the way at the bottom. The other link posted here mentions 1930s.

It doesnt seem that they would have fasted on a superman guy like that onto an original toy that had a very well constructed mechanism. If you look at the original blimp and airplane and counter weight thats pretty well thought out. I cant imagine they'd just tack on superman.

Plus superman came out 10 years later so...

14. sunday silence

Oh interesting story about the Marx company I heard from a dealer who heard it from someone at Marx, probably the union steward. He says the reason they switched over from tin toys to plastic toys in I guess, the early 60s is that had a number of complaints from OSHA. THe workers were getting lots of cuts from handling the tin stuff!

Thanks OSHA!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think this is the guy you want to talk to.....Noel Barrett who is/was on Antiques Roadshow...VERY knowledgeable about Vintage toys and games!!!! Pretty sure he'll tell you what you want to know!!! AND PLEASE LET US KNOW!!!!! Am SURE he'll want good pictures as well!!!!!
    215-297-5109
    toys@noelbarrett.com

antidiem likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a HUGE W O W !!!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted