Sumo wrestlers on silk please help translating the writing. I was told this is quite old.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Joe Collura, May 2, 2018.

1. Joe Collura

Joe Collura Active Member

2. Joe Collura

I found this at a yard sale. The guy I bought this from told me his mom said it was very old. I have seen this scene is sushi restaurants I have been in. This looks like it was done in silk. I would love to translate the writing or know who the artist is.

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's hard to tell...but the weave looks to thick to be silk...

Joe Collura and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very old means different things to different people, did he give any indication what he thought 'very old' meant?

Joe Collura, kyratango and judy like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Very old Sumo wrestlers were not a huge as todays big guys.
    greg

Joe Collura and judy like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Very old is surely a variable term, as Any Jewelry said. To a 20 year old, very old could be something 30 years old. To a 40 year old, it could be something 50 years old, which means it could be from 1968. That's not antique.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Joe Collura

I wish I could say he did byt no.

I will agree with you on this. Though the guy I bought this from his mother had passed and she had told him it was very old some time back and he was easily 60. But that still does not give it antique status I understand. That is why I am hoping someone can give me more info than what I know about it. Thank you for your reply.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Asian art is so hard to tell because some of the images are classic and used for centuries. I kind of get a 60s-70s vibe from this.

Joe Collura likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted