Such an interesting set! Need help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lavrentii, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The mark is for Derby, it's from the 1820's period. At this time most pieces didn't have pattern names, just numbers or nothing at all, so if there are hand painted numbers on any of the pieces this will be your answer.

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Staple repairs were very common back in that time period. There are collectors out there for items with such repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+porcelain+&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

The link below are some of the threads that have discussed it here on the forum.

https://www.antiquers.com/search/158831273/?q=staple+repair&o=date

One of them has a YouTube video of a Chinese man who rides his bicycle around to do the repairs & it is utterly fascinating to watch him do the repairs.

4. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I love staple repaired pieces! I snatch them up whenever I can. The time, care, and expense of having repairs done really makes you think about how important a set of china was to people. Today a broken plate gets tossed in the trash without a second thought. My DH calls them my Frankenstaples. :)

5. bercrystal

Lavrentii, Joan and komokwa like this.
  6. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

That was amazing, @bercrystal ! Thank you so much for sharing it. It made me so nervous watching him use that little hammer. :nailbiting:

7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I really like Lavrentii's set of dishes and especially the restored piece. I've always wondered how the staples were put in without further damage. The video was very interesting, so thank you to bercrystal for sharing it. I have only a few pieces of antique pottery/porcelain, but would definitely like to have a stapled piece among them. I do have a little majolica pitcher with a repaired break and a hinged pewter lid and rim that I assumed was original, but I took a look at it again after seeing the video and realized the lid and rim were attached after the break was repaired, so now I appreciate the pitcher even more.

Lavrentii and bercrystal like this.
  8. bercrystal

@sassafras & @Joan - You are very welcome & I am glad you enjoyed the video. However, I believe in giving credit in giving credit where credit is due. The video was originally posted by another one of our members @wiscbirddog. :happy::happy:

You may not recognize her user ID because she isn't on the forum as much as she used to be as she had some very serious health issues a while back & is still recovering. We do miss her wit & her knowledge!! :kiss::kiss:

Lavrentii likes this.
  9. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Many thanks! Yep, there is no pattern number. What a wonderful find

bercrystal likes this.
  10. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

That’s so interesting! When I saw this restoration, I thought- someone really loved this set, and I will. I paid about 10 pounds for this set. Amazing price.
    Many thanks for video. It is important to understand history such a way

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

The same feelings!
    As for collector, for me, it is so important to find such a beautiful items with history. Amazing

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted