Featured Style of Directoire or Neoclassical Dining Chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by laura9797, Sep 3, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of these lovely dining chairs. They have been refinished, custom upholstered - although not antique. Any type of tags removed! I can't decide if they are considered more French Directoire or Neoclassical? Interesting how the headrests on the armed chairs are padded and covered while the side chairs are caned. I happen to be amazed at the Bakhtiari style rug in the dining room as well. The owner did not cheap out on anything but these days dining chairs/dining tables are hard sell. Thank you for your opinion. diningchairs.jpg diningchairs2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    komokwa, pearlsnblume and sabre123 like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

More French to my eye but a mix of styles. Not necessarily in a good way, IMHO. Hate the upholstery and even worse when paired with that rug. Is this an estate sale picture?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

while the rug is stunning/...... yes the fabric could be less dynamic...and let the beauty of the wood show.....

laura9797 likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The set is lovely but i think its newer . Maybe from the 1980s-90s.

laura9797 likes this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Yes it is. I am NOT a fan of the plaid. I think I found the receipt for the custom upholstery which was a few thousands. Perhaps in the right room but with this rug, I would have chose a solid color.

Draft saved Draft deleted