studio pottery siggy

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I know its contemporary studio pottery but it was such a nice arts and crafts mission green glaze that I just grabbed it up - thought google lens would identify signature but no such luck - what say you? advanced thanXies studio.jpg studio2.jpg studio3.jpg

pearlsnblume and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Sig seems to be Bouthillier, but didn't find any similar items online with that name.

Rclinftl likes this.
  3. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

There are a couple things to consider, but first I think it is attractive the glaze is powerful and the clay body has a warm rich texture. It looks fired to cone 10 around 2400*f.

How does it feel in your hands, is it heavy or thinly thrown and lite?

You will see on ceramic forums discussions about selling work with flaws, it is difficult to tell from the pictures but the foot ring looks as if a piece is missing from where it adhered to the shelf from glaze running during the firing. Most studio potters refrain selling seconds because it is a reflection on their work. The sharp 90* angle could have been ground to clean this up but better to refine the shape while the piece is green (still moist unfired clay).

this is a forum popular with ceramic artists of all skill levels you might have some luck asking your question there, this person may even be a member.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/

Rclinftl and Marote like this.
  4. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it does have an interruption to the bottom rim but it also has some glaze drippings on the interruption so in my mind it was fine when I grabbed it - it’s in the making - but noted about how others might not see it the same…

It is a very heavy pot - and it is done really well - I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a renown maker - but unless research for bouthillier turns up some I paid $5 and only have plans of marking it $20 and taking $15 - so I am confident someone will be thrilled to give it a home

thanx to both of you

Potteryplease and Marote like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted