Featured Story/Scene this Russian Lacquer Box is Telling?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by StaceyFinds, Sep 17, 2022.

1. StaceyFinds

StaceyFinds Active Member

Hello,

I found this today. It’s the nicest one I have found as of yet. Although I don’t know what scene it depicts. I know the left side says Palekh, and I think the artist’s name is Smirnova. But does anyone know what H.U. stands for, and if there was more than one artist from Palekh named Smirnova? Does anyone know what story this box is telling?
    It’s 5”x5” with a hinged lid.

Thank you for any info you may have!

6E44AF66-F0C7-404D-B394-0C323DFA059F.jpeg 677CEA86-D26E-4614-80CD-356C9B352A93.jpeg 5EEFC3E6-E422-4092-9F84-04D6CED0D53E.jpeg 289D49F5-C9AE-4795-9CA1-8A8C536CC2C0.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

My guess would be One Thousand and One Nights, The Tale of Scheherazade.

3. StaceyFinds

Thanks for your input. I’ll look into that!

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I see lots of Tianex plates, but not many boxes.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It should be the first and middle initial of the painter's name. And those are Cyrillic letters. In our alphabet they are equivalent to N. I. Russians often sign things with last name first. And these boxes usually have initials, not the full first names of the people who painted them.

Beautiful box! You probably know that 1982 is the date. I'm not sure what the 816 is.

6. StaceyFinds

Thank you for that information! This is what I found for what the number stands for…

“The number has no relation to the painting, only to the blank papier mache box. A box with #1240 written in the margin simply means that the papier mache blank is number 1240 of the boxes of that same shape and size produced in that year. Each of those 1240 boxes may have a completely different painting, and the numbering starts over again with the new year.”

bercrystal, pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

I found three or four through a Google search. None have those initials, though.

bercrystal likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Thank you, that's good to know!

bercrystal and StaceyFinds like this.
  9. StaceyFinds

Me too. I’ll keep looking though, especially now that I know what the actual initials are. :)

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted