Storage find,Box of Native American Arrowheads

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by antiquelover69, Jul 16, 2020.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Storage find,I believe this is a lot of older arrowheads but not sure.All has some nicks,chips.Anyone know about arrowheads.How can I tell if they are real arrowheads.When I got them out of a tote in the storage,they look like the were from a dig. SAM_1081.JPG SAM_1082.JPG SAM_1083.JPG SAM_1085.JPG SAM_1087.JPG

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be a collection of "debitage" - waste flakes created during tool production - rather than any actual arrowheads or other tools. Perhaps a few broken points in there.

Figtree3, reader, Bronwen and 9 others like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks like a lot of pieces, some mid-sections, some tips, some bases probably some flakes, scrapers etc. If you're asking if they are modern, I'm not sure there is a way to tell easily.

If I were guessing (which I am) I'd think maybe they were from field walking and that type of collecting. Hate when no one puts any info with them.

There is a local man who has thousands of stone tools he's collected, mostly field walking, for all his adult life. He takes them to schools and local history events. He says he remembers where each was found but hasn't written it down. Every time I see him (which isn't often) I try to encourage him to make a record of locations so that when he's gone someone can know locations for the history of the area. So far he just says he's going to give them to his grandsons. This state encourages recording areas that have concentrations of artifacts so the site location is recorded with the state. Oh well.

4. DrPam

DrPam Active Member

Agree with 2Many and Say_It . . . have my MA in Anthro/Archaeology (ASU) and it looks like debitage. If someone were making replicas they'd probably dispose of that portion and just keep the points. Looks like a small piece of antler in the midst of it all, too, commonly used for fine work (e.g., flaking the edges to make them razor-sharp). And couldn't agree more regarding provenance - no way to know where they came from, etc., so now they're just curiosities.

5. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Thanks you all!! I have no history,box was in a tote that came out of a storage i bought.

Draft saved Draft deleted