Featured Storage Auction Unit - 6 African Beer Pots?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Aug 13, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

My friend bought a storage unit at auction - one reason was a large, taped up, box from KLM airlines.

When he won the unit & opened the box , it had 7 of these pottery bowls (1 had a triangle piece broken off that I repaired, but it is obvious it's been repaired so I left it out (+ 2 of these shown have a crack).
    I googled photos of them & they came back as African beer pots. I was excited at first, but looking at some for sale they range from $300 down to $25.
    How can I tell if these are older, legitimate tribal beer pots or pieces made for tourists? (They were each stuffed with newspapers (from 1999) & wrapped in thick cardboard to protect them in the large KTM box + if they were shipped it had to be expensive because of the size & weight of the box)
    Also, there is one with chimneys or stacks coming out of the top - is this a beer pot too?

As always I appreciate any help!

20240811_095625.jpg 20240813_044605.jpg 20240813_044442.jpg 20240811_095645.jpg 20240811_095706.jpg 20240811_095717.jpg
    20240811_095723.jpg 20240811_095729.jpg 20240812_005607.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The beer pots are made by Zulu women potters (South Africa), and the form is called an ukhamba (plural izinkamba). The two glossier ones, with more elaborate designs, are probably more recent than the other three. But without their history it is probably not possible to say more. Potters continue to make such pots for their own use, and for sale. Resale value will depend on their condition, and whether a potential buyer finds them esthetically pleasing.

Here is a blog post that provides a nice summery of how they are made and used -

https://tribalnow.co.uk/2016/08/26/beer-amongst-the-zulu-people-of-south-africa/

I don't know about the pot with four spouts.

dgbjwc, kentworld, Boland and 6 others like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Cool little collection. I obviously see these every now and then. I have often wondered about truly traditional used pots vs commercial tourist ones. You really get some beautifully decorated ones.

The four spouts pot is interesting and out of the ordinary but I do feel like I might have seen it somewhere before (but can’t recall now)

However if you give me enough time I can probably send you half a boat load of beer pots :)

4. journeymagazine

Thank you guys - I'll pass on the boatload Boland - had new interesting find today; a Ibanez Detroyer electric guitar & a Alien headless bass guitar!
    Both are some unusual looking guitars , I think will be worth more than the beer pots w/o providence!
    2manybooks - their beer is the same as our at 3% alcohol!
    Thank you both!

Any Jewelry, Boland and 2manybooks like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice. Yes sounds like you had a good and interesting day.

journeymagazine and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Half a boatload of beer pots, or two electric guitars..... a tough call...

I guess if the beer is included, I'm gonna go with the pottery.

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. journeymagazine

lol

Boland likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted