Stoneware? Brewery Jug, ~5 Liter: Where is Newbury?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jun 30, 2024 at 3:12 PM.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It's 12" high, ~8" diameter at shoulder & weighs 7 lbs 6 oz dry. I'm just guesstimating at the capacity of 5 liters.
    This jug is in really nice condition...but as with so many of my goodies I have no idea where or when, or at what cost, I acquired it. I think it's from mid to late 19th C, but again, I'm just hoping.
    Based on the uniformity of the bottom an' other exterior surfaces, the neck an' handle finish, an' especially the finely done labeling, I sense this brewery was a top-of-the-trade establishment that had their jugs made by a premier potter...even for those times, this was a costly product, probably reserved for the best suds in the house...an' for their carriage trade.
    I suspect, based on the word Bristol, that it is English in origin...an' that therefor Newbury is somewhere in England. There are a few towns named Newbury in the US, but I can't find a brewery connection with them. Nor, as far as I've been able to find, is there anything online for T.E. Hawkins & Co., brewing or otherwise.
    I also have some doubt about using stoneware to describe the jug material. Is it simply pottery? I'm stumped, obviously.

What have I got here, folks? As always, thanks for lookin'!

P1410675.jpeg P1410677.jpeg P1410678.jpeg P1410679.jpeg P1410680.jpeg P1410683.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 3:59 PM
    Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

According to online maps, Newbury is west of London and south of Oxford.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. wlwhittier

Looks like a High Probable to me, INH.
    Now, along with Marie's location, I've got something to work with.
    Thank you both!!

i need help likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Newbury is in Berkshire pronounced Barkshire

Aquitaine, i need help and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, Berkshire. Been there many many times. It’s stoneware and not high end, this was very common. Would have been made for a retailer or brewer. Nice Victorian utility wares, I’ve a fair few of them.

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

classy jug !!!!!!;)

wlwhittier likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

Yea...I thought so, too!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted