Stone Fruit - Marble or Alabaster?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ascot, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum for this, but I didn't see another one that quite fit.

I have a grouping of stone fruit, looks like olives, apricots, and a mango. It's polished and heavy. From the striations in the stone, I'm thinking it's marble but I'm not sure. I've had alabaster fruit before, and it was not shiny and seemed "softer".

Can you tell from the pictures what stone these are?

Thanks so much,
    Janice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Janice,
    It looks like dyed alabaster to me. Where the wires go in put a drop of white vinegar and look closely with a magnifier. If you see bubbles it is marble. Alabaster is calcium sulfate no fizz. Marble is calcium carbonate it will fizz.
    greg

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Great tip, Greg! I tried the vinegar hack (twice, just to be sure), and it fizzes! Marble it is. Thank you very, very much!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@gregsglass
    Hi greg, what is onyx? Will it fizz?

From ascot's photos, I was thinking dyed onyx.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. gregsglass

Hi,
    I do not think onyx fizzes or my old rings would have been eaten away. Just a guess.
    greg

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I vote onyx. These usually are.

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Onyx is a kind of quartz, similar to chalcedony, and does not fizz; or so I've been told.

8. Ownedbybear

There's true onyx, which is Silicon Dioxide and there's calcite, which is the stuff often sold as onyx. Calcite is Calcium carbonate, which reacts with acid. Marble also contains calcites, but it's far more expensive than the calcite "onyx". Greg's ring will be true onyx, these almost certainly dyed calcite "onyx".

all_fakes and afantiques like this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They may also be clear urethane dipped for a hard shiny finish.

10. gregsglass

Hi,
    I only mentioned my rings since I used to wear a black onyx ring. My hands were always in vinegar, paint remover and other acid chemicals with out gloves. Never had a mark to my gold and onyx signet ring. My silver one was "eaten" to death but not the onyx.
    greg

11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

....which would explain the "fizz."

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I vote onyx just because onyx is the most commonly-used mineral for this kind of novelty/decorative item. The striations also look just like those often found in onyx. And yes whatever it is, it has been dyed.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look like Mexican travertine. All sorts of things are carved out of it, and it's routinely dyed.

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That's what I thought.

16. springfld.arsenal

Looking to learn more about these minerals, I found a discussion which sheds some light but I'd still like more official, generally-accepted definitions.

http://andy321.proboards.com/thread/60394/travertine-onyx

My own observation makes me refer to the stuff used for walls and floors that is usually opaque, as travertine. I call the stuff used for smallish novelty items, that's translucent and solid (no pores) = onyx. But chemically they are the same I guess.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Nope. Onyx is Silicon Dioxide, SiO2. http://www.mindat.org/min-2999.html

Marbles, including travertine, are an assortment of carbonate salts of calcium, CaCO3 with Calcium magnesium carbonate, sometimes, CaMg(CO3)2.

So totally different. Calcite is often called onyx, but it isn't. It's calcium carbonate.

Alabaster is CaCO4, calcium sulphate. it's a salt of sulphuric acid and has four O atoms. Sulphites are CO3 and only have three oxygen atoms. (As an aside, a sulphide is any metal/sulphur combo) .

If I think long enough, I might even remember the chemical equations, but it's a few decades since I did this stuff!

all_fakes likes this.
  18. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Y'all are killing me :happy:, so smart. Never took chemistry as I was a (o tempora, o mores!) Latin major.

19. gregsglass

Hi OBB,
    Thank you, thank you. Your chemistry is almost as good as your Botany.
    greg

20. springfld.arsenal

Draft saved Draft deleted