Stone Chest

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marote, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I have this stone chest, and a few years ago I remember seeing a similar chest in, if I'm not mistaken, a History Channel show. But I can´t remember the name of the show (people bringing old objects, and experts telling them if the item were really old and/or what they were used for) and can't accurately remember what they said it was. I thought they said it was used to hold Jewish scrolls, but as the images on the chest seem to tell the Christian story of Adrian and Natalia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_and_Natalia_of_Nicomedia, that doesn't seem to be correct (for this one).
    Can anyone tell me more about this chest?
    IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG IMG_2046.JPG

verybrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe an osuary replica.

verybrad, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Indeed the same piece, but a different material. According to the Etsy info it's reconstituted marble with resin, and it does look a bit like plastic. Mine looks more like sandstone, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I now know mine will also be a replica and not as old as the seller pretended it to be...

kyratango, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Whoa-that was quick.Good lord,modern antiquing.Now we've also got more means of detection (& better ways of forging). Pretty soon the replicas will be perfect, they'll be using time machines to make them.

Marote likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Definitely a replica. There are many, in many materials, including a cast stone mixture.
    The seller in the link Roaring posted thinks it depicts the Holy Innocents. But I think it depicts the Judgment of Solomon, with a king on a throne, one baby about to be cut in two, and two women. The woman who is on her knees to plead for the baby not to be cut is the real mother.
    If I am right, the original casket could be Judaic, as the people on the History Channel show thought.
    Anyway, you now have three different stories to choose from.:playful:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  8. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

You are right @Any Jewelry, it is indeed the Judgment of Solomon. I clearly wasn't thinking clearly when I posted this. The Adrian theory referred to this scene on one of the sides
    IMG_2040.JPG
    But the other side has this image of, what I assume to be, David and Goliath
    IMG_2041.JPG
    As there is a connection between David and Solomon, I wonder if the other scene also has a Solomon link, and in that case the Adrian idea is incorrect.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What about Judith beheading Holofernes?

10. Any Jewelry

Judith would be wearing a long dress, like the mother in the Judgment scene, which this figure isn't.

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Just a thought, beheading being a very Biblical method for women to do.

Why would Judith being wearing a long dress - or at least longer than what we see here?

12. Any Jewelry

Because the women in the other scene are wearing long skirts too. The men are wearing shirts with a belt, which makes them look like short skirts.

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

What was the name for that marble dust-resin product? Cold marble?

14. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma Nooooo, not another story to choose from!!! :arghh:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:

Marote likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Marote -- I see you joined recently and have been comfortable in posting. The knowledge here on Antiquers can be amazing! And Google Lens is a big help, too.

I was thinking of asking the size of your item, but it looks like you've gotten all of the info you needed.

Marote likes this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I should clarify that I don't personally know if this is a replica, but when something like this shows up, it usually is. The fact that there are others out there supports the notion, but I'm not able to find an original source item online.

Marote and Figtree3 like this.
  18. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

The answer is simple:
    The others are all based on mine, and mine is the original ossuary that held the left pinky bone of Solomon. :D

Maybe that original source will be easier to find once I know what that scene with the hammer is, but so far no luck.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  19. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

@Figtree3 Thank you. Glad to be here! :)
    This item is one of many that are somewhere hidden in a box, so I'm not sure about the size. The Etsy version is 21 cm. That seems smaller than what I remember about the one I have. But, as I'm possibly older than the chest, that memory isn't as reliable as it used to be ...

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted