Featured Stirring the Roux with a Tasty Huntboard

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Oct 2, 2024 at 3:12 PM.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

This walnut huntboard is from New York City and was made ca. 1855. It's 6 feet wide U.S. and 8 feet tall. I'm attributing it to Alexander Roux because of similarities with the deer head carving and details with the base that are similar to a Roux huntboard that's for auction at Cisco's at the moment. Plus, I thought of Roux before I even started searching, just because the decorative details look like something from his shop. But.....if you have a better idea on attribution, please let me know!

So why a huntboard and not a sideboard? Huntboards usually have depictions of animals as well as other comestibles. In this case, we have a fully developed stag's head at the apex, and walnuts and leaves on the lower casework.

The finish is shellac, which has predictably darkened over the past 170 years. The piece was definitely used for its intended purpose by the folks who had it in the past, and required some TLC on my part, but I got it for a great deal so I was happy to do it. I believe that the heat and moisture of dishes that were placed on the shelves over the decades and centuries caused alligatoring on the shelves and back panels. To repair this, I used a combination of Howard's Restore-a-Finish for dark walnut and denatured alcohol, used very sparingly on the end of a clean brush. I'd say it remedied about 80-90% of the damage.

Since it's so dark, I considered stripping and refinishing the whole thing, but decided against it because most of the finish is in great shape, and I like the patina of age from the original finish.

1.jpeg
    2.jpeg 3.jpeg

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It's beautiful! I'm glad you left the original color. It's very rich and perfect. All the details are great. Whew it looks like it just barely made the ceiling height!

3. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

That is absolutely beautiful.

kyratango, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

measure three times, move once!

kyratango, komokwa and mirana like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Superb acquisition and tasteful conservation.

kyratango, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

That is something else, Hopper. Really handsome piece. Congrats!

I'd be like a nervous expectant father about those antlers during the move

7. Ghopper1924

There is one very old break on the upper right that has been repaired. Otherwise, they're as clean as the day they were made. The detail on the antlers as they grow out of the stag's head amazes me.

1.jpeg

kyratango, komokwa and mirana like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that bad boy is really impressive....... enjoy !!!!!!

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's amazing that it's in really good shape...and that the ceilings were tall enough to hold it!

komokwa, kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Amazing! A beautiful striking piece, BRAVO!!!

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted