Featured Sterling Silver Porringer. Ca. 1935. Preisner Silver Company.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This, if you can believe it or not, was a donation to a charity shop. I picked it up today after waiting for a month for the price to drop.

According to the intrawebz...these things change hands for crazy amounts of money...There's an identical one online right now (and I mean literally identical - same maker, same model, same design, same everything), which has a price-tag of $1,200 on it... :eek:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice little thing, Shangas. I wonder how it got all the way to Australia.

Could be as old as 1935, when the Preisner firm started out, but this form has been around forever - and Preisner continued in business until 1990. Does it have an inscription with that date?

Just a tad more info to add to the thread, showing both of the marks they used, can be seen here - http://sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Silversmiths/SSP8.html

I can't imagine why someone thinks one like this should be worth $1200, unless owned by some extraordinarily famous and accompanied by ironclad provenance. ;)

lauragarnet, cxgirl and Ladybranch like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not sure where that price might be coming from either. Are they marketing it as a tastevin? I don't know how big yours is but it does look like it might be fairly small and shallow so that's why I ask. I have some sterling porringers that I bought for about scrap price.

Here is a Preisner in a little different pattern that didn't go for a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Preisner-Pa...197868?hash=item2eeed16cac:g:95sAAOSw~oFXJ3ab

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good point about tastevin possibility, SIS.

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. Shangas

I'm not suggesting that mine would sell for that much (If I ever do sell this, I'm putting a much more realistic price on it). I was just shocked at what some people try and price their items at.

7. Shangas

If you want measurements, it's about 4.5in across the bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted