Featured Sterling and glass cameo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cfh, Jun 28, 2024 at 1:17 PM.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

A friend gave me this glass cameo today. At first, I had no idea what to make of it. After looking online for a while I discovered that the glass looks like Whiting and Davis. I have never seen a Whiting and Davis piece that looks similar. Is this a piece that someone put together using the W&D cameo? The setting tests as sterling. I can’t tell if the third picture is a mark or just scratches. The last picture is of a W&D cameo I found on Etsy. IMG_0309-compressed.jpeg IMG_0310-compressed.jpeg IMG_0311-compressed.jpeg IMG_0320-compressed.jpeg

cxgirl, Marote, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s reverse carved intaglio, to my eye.

cxgirl, cfh, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Looks molded, not carved, to me.

Any Jewelry, cfh, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same. The white labradorite looks legit, but the lady is reverse-molded glass. If the setting is sterling, the teardrops might be real amethyst.

cfh and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A lovely, subtle Ceres/Demeter reverse intaglio in a complementary setting. The glass intaglio itself was probably not made by W&D themselves, but bought as a component.

Any Jewelry and cfh like this.
  6. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I was thinking probably amethyst. But I forgot about labradorite.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Labradorite turns up in costume pieces, so it doesn't mean much, but it's pretty stuff.

8. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Ok. I didn’t think of that. When do you think this piece was made. To me it looks fairly recent.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. evelyb30

1990-something, or even later. White labradorite started showing up in jewelry about 25 years ago.

cfh likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The photos are not good enough to determine labradorite,the stones look like generic moonstone.

cfh likes this.
  11. evelyb30

Actually the exact opposite. That's labradorite and no mistake. Moonstone has no rainbow/butterfly wing effect. They call this stuff rainbow moonstone, but that's marketroid claptrap.

cfh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted