Featured Stellar find! 18k pocket watch with 10k Georgian? Chain!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Apr 4, 2024.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Picked this up. It is an 18k pocket watch with a 10k chain that I believe to be Georgian. The pocket watch to me appears to be Victorian with diamond chips and black enamel. The movement needs work. The chain however is amazing as well. I believe it is Georgian possibly 1850s or so? The whole things tests positive for 10k solid gold with a lot of silver giving it a weird gold color I haven't really seen yet... its a silvery gold you can see the contrast against the 18k watch! It has matching fobs and key including really cool jump rings! An amazing piece overall. I plan on wearing the chain as a necklace and possibly fixing the watch later on!
    20240404_165649.jpg 20240404_165735.jpg 20240404_165745.jpg 20240404_165830.jpg 20240404_165847.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

open her up !!!
    & , anything carved on the stamp..

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1850 is Victorian. Did you mean 1740?

Debora

Figtree3, Dessert58, KSW and 5 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@spartcom5, THAT is one DELICIOUS timepiece and chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    KSW, kyratango, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

alright then spart, how muchos did it cost, its all relative ;)

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Do some of the pieces on the chain slide? It looks like a chatelaine to me, based on watch key, fob seal & propelling pencil, but as configured I'm not sure how it would be worn. Late Victorian I think.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I notice the key & the seal are the same maker.

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Fabulous!! More pics!!!

KSW, kyratango, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can we see the face of the watch....does the key go to it??????

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like the chain has a fob and a watch key on it. I think it's more Victorian than Georgian, but ... what's inside the watch? Any writing on the dust cover?

11. spartcom5

It is marked 18k in tiny font and the makers mark. I paid scrap for the watch and the chain was free.
    20240404_165932.jpg 20240404_165952.jpg 20240404_170000.jpg 20240404_170101.jpg

Figtree3, KSW, stracci and 11 others like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That’s high Victorian, mid nineteenth would make sense.

kyratango, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wonderful, spart. In spite of the different finenesses and colour of the gold, the black enamel makes it a happy marriage. Maybe not so happy because both are mourning pieces, but a good way to be in mourning.

I think ca 1860s for both, the chain is not Georgian.
    Although it looks a bit like a slide chain, it is a long gent's watch chain imo, although it seems to be missing a hook.
    I think something like this one, although this is a single chain:

bhook1.jpg
    https://www.pmtime.com/HOWTO_OTHER.html

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  14. spartcom5

Many thanks all, I thought 1850s was georgian but I was wrong. And yes the chain does slide to make it shorter or longer

Aquitaine, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That sounds more like a ladies' slide watch chain. But a ladies' slide watch chain doesn't have attachments on both ends because it is worn around the neck. The slide serves to make the end with the watch long enough to tuck the watch into the waist band.

kyratango, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Victoria came to the throne in 1837. Before her, her uncle William IV had a short reign, from 1830. So Georgian is 1830 at the latest.

kyratango, KSW, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The only way I know William IV from Georgian is his silver's reign mark. Maybe.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

There’s not much differentiation on bling. More on furniture, oddly.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  19. SallyTheMouseyPad

SallyTheMouseyPad New Member

Looks to me like a Victorian ladies mourning chatelaine watch, fob and pencil and if it is 18k gold (it looks to me that is is) you have def won a watch
    Chatelaines were worn at the waist in the days before pockets and they usually had other trinkets on it them little Etui cases, scissors, button hooks, thimbles etc but that was very customised to the wearer. Mourning jewellery became the height of fashion when Queen Victoria went into mourning after the death of her beloved Prince Albert, a state she stayed in till her own death in 1901. Mourning jewellery usually had elements of black or a compartment containing hair (or even a photograph later on) belonging to the one being mourned. I have more doubt about the chain being genuinely old, the 10K gold stamps I’ve seen have come out of China and whilst 10K is a verified gold standard now, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t in the 1860s, 9ct, 15ct and 18ct being the norm in the UK. I’ve learned the very hard way that a 10K stamp needs to be tested! If you intend to sell it get the chain assay hallmarked or at least very well tested by a professional goldsmith to be sure. A gold chatelaine like this would have been owned and worn by someone very well-off and even without the chain could be worth many thousands of pounds, they are pretty rare. Even silver ones are hard to come by, most are plated base metal. Good luck though, I hope both prove to be old gold and make you a fortune!

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

The watch is American, it says 18k not ct.

The chain may therefore also be ten K, which was an American standard.

Some British hallmarked gold tests slightly higher than the declared fineness.

kyratango, KSW, stracci and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted