Featured Steamer Trunk needs a few things

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Dec 23, 2015.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Like new handles, a key, and ....?

I have been waiting and waiting to get my hands on a steamer trunk I like, at a good price, and good condition.
    *cue the angels singing*

I bought one last Friday at auction and it's beautiful!
    A lovely dark green that contrasts beautifully with the patina-ed wood.
    Ugh, I wanted one for resale but this one might stay with me (where is going to fit is another battle for another day)

The interior is still pretty intact, a few rips here and there, nothing major.

I'd take more pictures but I'm hiding my kids Christmas gifts in it right now so it's sitting in a dark corner.
    I told them not to touch it because the locks messed up :p

Anyways, what type of key do I need?
    Its a Star Lock Works with a 30 stamped below it.

What type of handles do I need to order?
    What would have been the traditional color leather?

What's the best way to clean the outside?

And lastly, can anyone put a date on it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

NICE!!!
    Anything on the inner lid? Usually there is something colorful there.
    Have a lift out tray too?
    The thick straps stick out each end and are slotted to move out and also go flat. They aren't straight edges but radius out between the mounts.
    Sometimes they are sewn around their edges as well.
    Not screwing up those rivets to install the straps will be a challenge methinks. ;)

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I have a Victorian steamer trunk which has the lock hasp and the interior tray missing, I doubt I`d find one in a month of Sunday`s so I`ll sell it as is.

T1.jpg

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

SeaGoat -- It looks like that is a "Star Lock Works" lock on the trunk. I can't help with the trunk itself, but here is some information you may find of interest (if you haven't found the website already).

"Moderator-Comment: Star Lock Works in Philadelphia made a variety of nice brass trunk locks for trunk makers. They didn't actually make the trunks, but they made really nice trunk locks. They were founded in 1836 by Mr. Liebrich and originally the locks were marked with C. Liebrich, Phila. and then in 1869 he retired and two partners, Hillebrand and Wolf took over the company and called it Star Lock Works. They made trunk locks and stays, keys, padlocks, latches and springs. An early trade card advertising Star Lock Works was shown in the Bicentennial exhibit for Philadelphia in 1976. I think they finally went out of business in the very late 1800s."

http://thisoldtrunk.com/guestbook/index.html

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't see a pic of your complete trunk but, from what I can see, I would say circa 1890.

A wide variety of leather trunk handles are available from various suppliers. You will find them if you search the internet or even on ebay. Dark to reddish brown would work with your trunk.

Most people don't care if the locks work on these. If you do, you might have to find a locksmith to help you work out a key. I don't think that there are any kind of keys that are readily available for these.

6. verybrad

For cleaning, you could use most any type of cleaner as long as you do not get it too wet. Anything greasy could be cleaned with mineral spirits. Afterwards, I would put a good coat of paste wax on it.

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Love the dark green!!!

And Davey, I have a trunk almost a twin to yours, except that it has a flat top. It acts as a blanket chest at the foot of the guest room bed.

komokwa, lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The flat trunks were for poorer travellers.
    Domed top trunks were last to be loaded as nothing could be stacked on top.
    Last on first off.

wenna, johnnycb09, SeaGoat and 4 others like this.
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I think Monsieur Louis Vuitton changed all that...

komokwa likes this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Can we see the whole trunk? I love the color.

11. SeaGoat

There is no inside tray :(

I dropped the kids off at the grandparents.
    Ill try to take pictures tomorrow if its bright enough. Its been raining for 2 days!

KingofThings likes this.
  12. SeaGoat

Alright, we finally have a sunny day!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  13. SeaGoat

14. verybrad

You do want a heavier slotted handle if you can pull the pin and replace or use it again. You will have to compare measurements to see if that is the right one.

15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

SeaGoat likes this.
  16. SeaGoat

So pre-1870s. Cool!!

17. verybrad

I think you interpreted that wrong. The company held the name on your trunk til 1925. I do think it is 19th century but not as old as 1870.

SeaGoat likes this.
  18. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Like Brad said. The trunk dates from the very earliest 1870 to the very latest 1920 at least according to that website. Most of the Henry Likly & Co. trunks similar to yours I've seen on line, the owners/sellers are dating them to the late 1800s like the 1890s & the turn of the century.

An example:
    http://www.thepirateslair.com/445-restored-antique-flat-top-trunk.html

--- Susan

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    SeaGoat likes this.
  19. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

That's a beautiful trunk in that link, Susan. To think that's how we used to travel...

Well of course we needed it back then. Long train journeys. Ocean liners. No jetsetting back then. But that has to weigh 50 pounds empty at least! I'd hate to think how much it weighs with clothing and accessories packed into it! But it's little wonder that our ancestors managed to bring so many things back with them when they went on holidays.

20. verybrad

The trunk in the link has had the fabric stripped off, been sanded, and finished. This used to be a pretty common thing to do and I have done a few this way myself. It is too labor intensive to make any money doing this any more with the way prices have dropped.

Edit: Didn't read all the info and I now see that they do state that it has been stripped. I also now see their price of $595.00. If I thought I could get anywhere near that around here, I might be stripping trunks again. Going rate for a restored trunk around here is about $100-150.00. You can pick them up in decent condition but needing restoration for as little as $5.00 but at $20-25.00 can get them regularly.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted