Standing desk age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Skywalker, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

I just acquired this large & heavy standing desk. Dimensions are 8' wide, 4' tall at back, and 32" deep. It appears to be solid oak on the outside, with some pine inside. It came out of Houston, TX I believe. There are no markings or stampings anywhere. I believe it to be handmade, with hand cut dovetails, mortise and tenon frame, and spline joined top. Any ideas as to age and past use would be helpful.
    Old Desk 1.jpg Old Desk 2.jpg Old Desk 3.jpg Old Desk 4.jpg Old Desk 5.jpg Old Desk 6.jpg Old Desk 7.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does this wood look original or added later?
    Almost looks like it held 45s and 33s.
    upload_2020-1-7_7-50-8.png

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

What's behind this? Any holes for electrical wires?
    upload_2020-1-7_7-51-24.png

Or maybe a pull out shelf?

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

The wood is a clear grade of pine & from the construction appears to be original. It is 32" deep, so I'm guessing it was for plans or maps, as this would be too deep for records or file folders.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

I will post a picture of the interior later. It is lined with pine beaded board, and there are 2 oak runners on the bottom, must have had a tray or drawer to slide out. There are 2 holes drilled going out the back, my guess someone used this for a computer at one time.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1870s-80s . May have been for a church or the like. Great piece, if the top werent slanted itd make a fabulous kitchen island.

Ghopper1924 and Skywalker like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. Some kind of office furniture.... Someplace where perhaps clerks came and went and had to do some writing and filing while in the main office. Would think it is custom. I agree with a circa 1870 date.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What a great piece for getting ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN I HAVE IT!!!! Just kidding......too big for my house, but still GREAT!! And NICE looking to boot!!!

9. clutteredcloset49

I was thinking more like 1940s/50s. Someone made a desk for a specific purpose, be it drafting, maps, tailoring.

I think it is a cobbled together piece.
    Appears the two sides don't match
    upload_2020-1-7_8-9-8.png

upload_2020-1-7_8-9-42.png

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4 ft tall is unusually tall - over a ft taller than typical counter height. If workers were using the surface for writing, filing, etc. they would have had to be darned tall themselves (says the 5' 3.5" woman. ;))

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

My wife is already filling up the drawers. It took 4 grown men to carry it in, so it will probably go with the house if I ever move, lol!

12. clutteredcloset49

Looks like newer plywood
    upload_2020-1-7_8-14-3.png

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

I agree, it appears to be custom made for a specific purpose, maybe architect, engineer, railroad office, or a clerks work space. The age is more of a mystery. The drawers are very heavy, solid 3/4" thick oak sides & full depth. The only screws are used to attach the drawer slides to the frame. At first appearance I thought it was cobbled together, but it is not separate pieces put together. And the ends are different in size, but the panel construction matches. So it's a puzzle to me. Thanks for the insight.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Perhaps not cobbled, but custom made for a specific person and/or purpose. Agree with a later date a la Cluttered, but perhaps just a tad earlier. Interesting piece alright!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am goin with Cluttered on this one, assembled for some specific task

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Member

That's a solid pine board. I had the top off to move the piece and could see interior construction.

Draft saved Draft deleted