Staffordshire spaniel wally dogs or not?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nondisszyblonde, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Nondisszyblonde

Nondisszyblonde New Member

My my mum loves Staffordshire dogs and always talks about the pair her gran had. Came across this mini pair, about 10cm high, in a charity shop and bought them as fun Xmas pressie. Now are they genuine (doubtful), 20th century copy (happy with that), or Chinese fake?
    I have probably read all the relevant articles now, including the ones recommended in other threads, and I have come to the conclusion they are not genuine :
    1. Looking at the bottom the big hold from a slip cast mould appears to have been filled in and then glazed over with a small hole added for the firing.
    2. The rim has a chalky finish.
    3. The painting is pretty splodgy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call them fakes, per se, just modern bits resembling the old ones.

pearlsnblume and Nondisszyblonde like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted