Staffordshire cats

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Jul 21, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I also found these two on my travels yesterday. A pair of Staffordshire cats. I'm not sure if they are antiques or more modern copies. I'm not that clued up on Staffordshire figurines. Google suggests Fitz and Floyd. They are about 20cm tall

IMG20240720184329_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG_20240720_191007_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG_20240720_190954_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG_20240720_190919_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240720184400_copy_3000x4000.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly in the style of Fitz & Floyd but don't appear to be of the same quality.

Debora

3. Chinoiserie

Thank you.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The prices on Staffordshire Cats & Pugs are all over the map.They look Fitz & Floyd to me (but the quality may not be up to snuff). Even prices on genuine F&F vary wildly online.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

These are not Staffordshire cats. 20th c somewhere. I dunno F&F stuff very well so can't comment. Removing the green stuff on the bottom might reveal an answer!

Chinoiserie and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Definitely 20th century. Could even be Chinese.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
  7. Chinoiserie

Not sure about Fluff n Firkin myself either. Just what the majority of what Google results come up as. I've had no experience of it so I can't really offer an opinion. I was hoping the expert panel would send me off on the right track.

8. Chinoiserie

I was tempted to remove it but was scared of what I might find. Prob just shiny white ceramic.

kentworld likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I have a pair of vintage Fitz and Floyd "Staffordshire-style" cats. Each is quite heavy! They measure approximately 7 1/2 inches or 185 cm tall. Yours do not appear to be of the same quality, however cute!
    Photos for comparison ('scuse the dust and glare):

IMG_2563.jpeg IMG_2564.jpeg IMG_2565.jpeg IMG_2566.jpeg

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG][​IMG]

side by side..........no contest.....;)

bluumz and Chinoiserie like this.
  11. Chinoiserie

Okay thanks. It would seem that some yarns have been spun on Google

bluumz likes this.
  12. Chinoiserie

Technically they are not side by side :vulcan:

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:D

composite_17215995155625.jpg

Chinoiserie likes this.
  14. komokwa

gimme a break.......

Chinoiserie likes this.
  15. Chinoiserie

You gotta earn one first :D

16. komokwa

when u have 180,000 likes.........we'll talk about my earnings here...;):p

Chinoiserie likes this.
  17. bosko69

Lordy-I actually was alive back in the 'good old days',when not everything was made in China. Can you believe that 'Made In Japan' sticker-land o' Goshen,I'm dumbstruck !

kentworld and Chinoiserie like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

What little googling I've done about my own F&F Made in Japan cats indicates 1970s production, but I haven't dug deep enough to find out if that's actually true. I got a good deal on them a few years ago and simply bought them because I liked them.

komokwa, Chinoiserie and mirana like this.
  19. bosko69

The F&F's are quite cute.I found a 19th Staffie Pug at local thrift a few months ago.It's a small one,but although they're somewhat primitive-it's got lots of presence,naive but strong.

bluumz and Chinoiserie like this.
  20. Chinoiserie

Dictator Komo. "Like me or I will destroy you".

Draft saved Draft deleted