Featured St. Louis France Cristal Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was at the thrift and looking for a vase for my mom and this seemed like a nice one. Lifted it up... heavy! Decided I better check the base for a signature, and thank goodness for progressive lenses, noticed a faint tiny circular makers mark that reads: St. Louis France Cristal. Vase is 8" tall, weighs 5.5 lbs.

Have to say, the vase doesn't feel terribly old. There is a vase with a similar St Louis Cristal signature (different pattern) for a quite high asking price on Ebay (over 1K!). Can't imagine this would be worth anything close to that, but decided I should get thoughts here in case anyone is familiar with St Louis glass. Guess I'm wondering if this might be a resale item rather than a vase for my mom. Thanks for taking a look.

louis3.jpg louis4.jpg louis5.jpg louis6.jpg louis7.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Christmasjoy, aaroncab and cxgirl like this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Really makes one wonder how some of these things wind up on the thrift store shelf.
    Great find Lucille!

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I think you may have a treasure there! (I happen to love Saint Louis crystal and have had a few of their vases over the years. Still have 2 or 3 around here somewhere.)

Anyway, yours reminds me of their Tommyssimo vases, but I don't know if those came in any size other than 11" tall.

Here's a photo of one (of the 11" size) and a description:

img0 (324).jpg

At first glance, the "Tommyssimo" vase from Saint-Louis looks like a crown made of crystal glass. It is only when you examine it more closely that you see the sturdy base and identify its real purpose. The overall impression remains just as striking however. This is mainly due to the vase’s impressive diamond cut – grass-like blades reaching up to a pearl-shaped necklace around the rim.

You can find several of them online, but the one I copied here was from:

https://www.artedona.com/en/Brands/Saint-Louis/Vases/Saint-Louis-Tommyssimo-vases.html

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just back at the computer, wow! Had no idea this would have sold for so much new.

Thank you Barn Owl, Cx, Buyingtime and SBSVC. :) I appreciate you all taking a look!

Sounds like "Tommy" or "Tommyssimo" is the style or pattern, that is a huge help. Grateful for all the links.

It has a nice weight, and felt and looked good enough to have me look for a signature, I think the thrift just sets aside things obviously marked. This has a tiny, faded, hard to see mark.

I'll get a different vase for my mom. She hadn't even seen it (and frankly would rather that I sold it -- she knows I do this as a part time business.)

One slight issue with this St. Louis piece, is that there is a flea bite under the vase on the bottom rim. It is under the vase on the edge of the bottom rim, but with these things, someone who wants a top of the line maker, often also wants perfection. Well, we'll see. Sounds like in any case it is worth more than I paid.

Thanks for the help, always grateful for the knowledge and willingness to help on this board.

Barn Owl, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good eye Lucille !!!! :happy:;)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Beautiful vase, Well Done !!! ... Joy.

judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted