ST Dupont lighter help.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Marcos Bello, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:28 PM.

1. Marcos Bello

Marcos Bello New Member

Hello, thanks for having me. Found you trying to get some info regarding a lighter I've just inherited. It did belong to my father, he used to smoke but quit many years ago. It was given to him when working to a company after finishing an engineering project.

There is so much info regarding this, add the little I know about old lighters, and then there is the reason I'm asking for your help.

I'm pretty sure it's the real thing, not only because from what I've read regarding uneven serial numbers being a main tip to identify real Dupont lighters but because is - if memory serves - probably 60 (or more) years old.

I would like to sell it for a fair price, as you can see it is fairly used, gold lacqued, I guess it works but have no idea how to test it. I have not found a serial checker but from what I've seen online seems to be an L1 model if that helps. Where would be the right place to sell it? Here maybe, Catawiki, eBay, etc?

Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry if my english it's not 100 % correctly written (I'm from Spain). Best regards.

Marcos IMG_20241014_185904.jpg IMG_20241014_185756.jpg IMG_20241014_185652.jpg IMG_20241014_185618.jpg IMG_20241014_185703.jpg IMG_20241014_185807.jpg

Bronwen, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Marcos and welcome. I'll tag someone for you that knows about these lighters: @komokwa

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Marcos. Our lighter expert has been 'tagged' for you.
    Did you see this one?

https://www.catawiki.com/nl/l/88886...tage-laque-de-chine-ligne-2-aansteker-verguld

If you sell through Catawiki or ebay, definitely set a minimum price. Let's wait for komokwa though, I'm sure he has more insights.
    You're doing perfectly.:)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 2:31 PM
    sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Before it was put away someone cleaned it and replaced the flint wheel...which should be black .
    It's much used and much loved, and served your dad , very well.:happy:

Unfortunately ....it's indeed much used....and the wear to the gold is very heavy, and will hurt any price you might receive ... :(

Open the filler screw cap and see what color is painted under the cap..:peeking::peeking:

I see it as a genuine Dupont.... a very popular model worldwide .... so there are many out there for sale..... & that will continue for some time to come !

See this...... as in my opinion they are spot on.... but yours could be a little older than they say....... but not by much..

https://www.reddit.com/r/STDupont/comments/xcll6u/im_thinking_of_purchasing_this_lacque_de_chine/

sabre123 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted