Squirrel dish is it repairable and what's it made of?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Silverlining, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

I bought this dish with a box of Asian brassware around 30 years ago here in Australia. This is the only piece I've kept. I really like it, squirrels are unusual in serving ware as we don't have them here. I think it's called a nut dish? I've found similar silver ones online (which are stunning!) but none of this exact type, and this is likely much newer and possibly a cheap copy of sorts? This one has no markings, does anyone have anything similar? I think it's silver plated? The squirrel is heavy/ solid. Is the rest brass? Would anyone know if the "brass" can be repaired? I'm keen to use or display the dish but there are black blotches over it. It's got character. 2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Propane torch and silver solder wire. Or just use JB weld, 2 part adhesive - depends on how close to original you want it to be,

[​IMG]

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

For tougher cleaning jobs, pull out the ketchup, tomato sauce, or tomato paste. Simply rub a thin coat onto the brass, let sit for an hour or so, and then clean the piece with hot, soapy water.

Not that I've ever had to do this......but Bob Vila thinks it's OK..

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

ARE YOU KIDDING???? All that tomato based remedies are acidic - turns copper PINK! Horrible.
    Try it on some copper pennies then you'll see @komokwa before ruining copper pots

5. komokwa

I thought the tray was brass ?????

sorry for bad information...

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh Hell, Vintage items are pretty thin brass/copper alloy EH? and then nickel plated. Crazy what acidic mediums will do to them.

scoutshouse, Silverlining and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

I'll stick to taters for my catsup, from now on !!! ;):playful::playful:

9. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

No worries at all, it's made me think I could do more research on cleaning. I'm thinking the brass (if it is brass) may be perished, possibly something splashed onto it years ago.

komokwa, scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

Thank you, you're right, it's exactly the same design! I wish mine looked as good as that one. The one i have may be older than I first thought. 1900 would be very exciting. Thank you for your help. Looking harder for a mark now.

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  11. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

No stamps underneath unfortunately however this is on the front at the base of the squirrel. May be letters, may be random scratches. IMG_3570.jpg

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

13. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

There are so many!! I didn't even read it as WMF, now seems obvious. I've searched so many times on line but not found anything, and now so many to check out and learn from, thank you. I know what I'll be doing for the next hour or so.

komokwa, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

As others have suggested this is silverplate.
    You need to get a good silver polish. Maas, Smithicone, Wrights,

You can see where it has already started to pit. You need to clean the tarnish off before it gets worse.
    upload_2020-4-18_7-26-53.png

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  15. Silverlining

Silverlining Member

Thank you, the photos are a bit bright, it's gold in colour, I think I'll try a brass cleaner, was to scared to try anything on it. I agree, would be good to stop the deterioration.

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't.
    If it is gold in color, it may be gold plate over sterling.

Go up inside and clean that first. See if you can find any marks like the one shown
    above.
    . upload_2020-4-18_18-4-30.png

Silverlining likes this.