Featured Square-nailed church desk ID please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Paul66, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Paul66

Paul66 Member

Neighbor moving street-find, in Maine, but this beauty may be from Mass. as papers left in books indicate so. I used dowels and glue to secure top, which was half-lifted off, and other shim, crack filling (sawdust/glue) before staining.

I'm fairly happy with the color, although I learned to think "lighter" for the next project.

Help dating this is appreciated. I immediately thought "church school desk," but a friend pointed out that keyhole (I don't have key) might indicate a person of authority.
    Thanks for input.
    IMG_20210620_102308679~3-01.jpeg IMG_20210602_195607994-01.jpeg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1880. Looks like walnut. Renaissance revival transitioning to Eastlake. The bin-type drawer indicates this is a sewing table.

4. Paul66

Paul66 Member

Brad thank you, that's wonderful info. Interesting about the sewing table. A cursory reading about Eastlake and Renaissance Revival indicates that "Victorian" is a conglomeration of styles. Perhaps these closeup pics may reveal more; the rectangular nail heads are about 3x2 mm.
    Thanks Kiko for compliment; I'm learning much from this rustic restoration.
    IMG_20210706_104854784-02.jpeg IMG_20210706_112017716-02.jpeg

5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Great find!
    A work (i.e. sewing) table, no doubt. "Victorian," "Georgian," "Edwardian" actually point to age, not style, though are sometimes used interchangeably by people in the trade because a certain style is often implied. During the reign of Queen Victoria too many styles came and went that it is rarely used in that way. Outside the US you'd call that Gothic Revival, with a touch of Aesthetic Movement. In the US you'd call it what Brad said (Eastlake, though English by birth, is for the most part unknown ouside the States).
    The damage to the veneer of the front drawer is a shame (nice escutcheon), probably sun/heat.
    You might want to use oil and wax for finish rather than synthetic varnishes, as they are more sympathetic and reversible.

6. Paul66

Paul66 Member

Thanks Fern, I'm not varnishing this, will linseed oil every year or so.

I called this table Gothic on first look; today's the first time I've heard of Eastlake, and I'm a New Englander, albeit neophyte antiquer.

I'm finding things on the street older than anything handed down by family. What fun.

Pattywithay, LauraGarnet02 and Fern77 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful. What kind of fool leaves this on the street. Excellent restoration job! Thanks on behalf of all Victorian furniture lovers!!

8. Paul66

Paul66 Member

I've posted a video about this project on YT, channel Pav's Showcase; I'll respect Forum rules and not embed here. Thanks all for good thoughts, nice to know there's a niche for this kind of thing.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Perhaps some Gothic elements but pretty solidly Renaissance Revival. The Eastlake elements are the incised lines. Found this one that is a higher style version from the same period.

[​IMG]

Pattywithay and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Paul66

Paul66 Member

That is beautiful, and with all the balls intact. Thanks for pointing out style nuances.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Dang I love that example that verbrad brought in, and the O.P.'s is no slouch. Winners all around!

Draft saved Draft deleted