SPURS, PROBABLY MEXICAN.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by nursenancy4, Feb 10, 2016.

1. nursenancy4

nursenancy4 Active Member

Found these going through my husband,s many many boxes, I have been told they are Mexican , which I think is true also told they are new of which I am not too sure I know they are not antique, but have at least 15-20 yrs on them, Any help appreciated, No markings that I can find, Thank you, spurs1.jpg spurs.jpg spurs1.jpg spurs1.jpg spurs4.jpg spurs4.jpg spurs4.jpg spurs6.jpg spurs7.jpg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Maybe Gila will chime in on them....

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They look like cowboy show spurs, & the Rowel and jingle bobs look like newer additions.
    Mexican is possible .....
    You'll need better clearer shots......& a spur expert !

KingofThings likes this.
  4. nursenancy4

KingofThings likes this.
  5. nursenancy4

thank you hope these pics are clearer, spurs.jpg
    spurs3.jpg spurs3.jpg spurs5.jpg spurs7.jpg spursj.jpg spursj.jpg spursj.jpg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  6. nursenancy4

can anyone see my reply with addn. pics, sometimes I can and sometimes I cant, weird, thanks

KingofThings likes this.
  7. komokwa

it's there...

KingofThings likes this.
  8. komokwa

The leather sure looks like it was rode hard and put away wet...( shilo..would like that..)
    Are there any makings on the ranger buckle.....it looks silver & well made from what I can see.

Still...I'm not the expert you need !! :sour::sour:

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They look like tourist items... the wheel is cast and they appear to be die stamped not engraved,nowhere near "show" quality.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. komokwa

Like I said earlier... & the Rowel and jingle bobs look like newer additions......
    but the leather , shank, & arms , look made for honest use ...and look well used.

These are womens, from Nevada circa 1930......only to show similar buckle use...

[​IMG]

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

No doubt well used and abused,the right spur appears to have been broken and re-welded.And there appears to be "chrome" plating pealing in spots.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

I miss Shilo. :(
    Anyone heard anything from her?

komokwa likes this.
  13. KingofThings

Your DNA on those rowels komo??? ;)

14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Interesting! The only thing I know about spurs is that they fit on a boot and encourage a horse to speed up or do whatever. On reading this thread, I have wandered around a few sites for a bit of education. Gee, this is a course in itself. There are all types of spur styles from California, Texas, the Great Plains, Mexican, to English, etc.... A multitude of different ends (just like humans): round end, knob end, flat end, roweled end, etc.... Then there are the many parts to the spur: chap guard, heel band, heel chains, jingle-bobs, mounts, rowels, rowel disc, rowel pin, shank, buttons, etc... All of these parts can in some way help to ID spurs. What interested me was to read that prison made spurs from back in late 1800s to early 1900s are quite collectible today

Here are a links to a couple of dedicated spur sites that might have help for you.
    The menu bar has such categories as Styles, Makers, Guide, Marks, etc..
    http://www.oldspurs.com/

On this page, by selecting on menu bar "Gear" > "Spurs" a drop-down menu appears with info on different makers and "Prison Made Spurs."
    http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/spurs.html#.VryjFdCQ6Sp

--- Susan

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Be sure to look carefully for marks. They may be tiny and in a place not easily seen.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  16. komokwa

I'm not going there......

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

Too late for that isn't it............. ;)

18. komokwa

Please refrain from casting aspersions on my moral turpitude .:cool::cool:

( & btw..I ride..I don't get ridden ! ) :yawn:

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Wasn't necessary for me to actually bother to cast them.... ;)

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Antiques Roadshow was from Texas the other night and they did the educational piece in the middle about spurs. Very interesting.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted