Featured Spoon Rest?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Psittac, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

We have a small note that claims this is a spoon rest.

20171229_162732-s.jpg

20171229_162736-s.jpg

20171229_162756-s.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is, but the pattern is Medici.

Psittac, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And that's the first totally impressed registration mark I've ever seen. It could easily be a spoon rest.

Psittac, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nearly 9" for a spoon rest seems awfully large to me, but then I don't have any either!!! Tends to be the right shape!!

And I just found an antique spoon rest on Etsy that's 9" in length as well!!! So, I'd say you're probably RIGHT ON!!!! "REGISTERED BY MELLOR VENABLES & CO No44015, July 15 1847" (at least I think it's a '7')

https://www.etsy.com/listing/524357...h_query=antique spoon rest&ref=sr_gallery-3-2

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some spoons are bigger than others...:happy:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a side dish for seafood, or maybe relish dish. It is very pretty, and I can picture oysters on that, with lemon wedges. Perfect colour composition.:happy:
    It says in the listing:
    "Shell shaped ironstone dishes such as this were used to serve relish, lemons or mussels and other side dish goodies, and they do make fabulous heirloom spoon rests."
    So the original purpose seems to be a seafood or relish dish, but it would make a "fabulous heirloom spoon rest". I suppose you can put anything on it, as long as it fits.

Psittac, Bakersgma, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And they all deserve a rest at times.:happy:

Psittac, komokwa, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ruth, I see quite a few of the impressed marks here.

It's not a pickle dish, those weren't ribbed. Nor is it the classic demi lune shape used for bones, and it's certainly not a shellfish dish.

The clue is that notch and the ribbing. It is indeed a spoon rest, or more properly a ladle rest. Your soup or veggie tureen had a handsome china ladle. This was use to rest it on after you'd taken whatever you wanted from the tureen. Hence the size.

Psittac, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Ladle rest makes sense. I really like it.

Psittac, komokwa, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is pretty. I never would have thought it to be a spoon rest.
    I would have thought it would be nice for cranberry sauce type things.
    BWDIK.

Psittac and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Whichever, I like the pattern.....it's VERY pretty and a keeper, but then most of you are "sellers"!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Psittac and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I love it! I actually have a weakness for spoon rests as they are something I can use. Now that I think about it I guess I can say I collect them because I undoubtedly have at least 30. I would snatch that one fast!

Psittac, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I meant to type impressed LEGIBLE registration mark, but you couldn't read what I didn't type. Ladle rest makes total sense to me, especially if it was for a punch ladle. Tureens here often have cut-outs to leave the ladle in whatever soup or stew was in the tureen while putting the lid back on. A punch ladle on the other hand might be better left out of the bowl when not in use.

Psittac likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Aha! I know what you mean, those impressed ones can be a right pain. Might be punch, but I've seen them with soup and veggie sets. The Victorians were mad for redundant functionality: if you could invent a special shape for a thing, they did it.

Psittac likes this.
  15. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Could be an ice cream shell dish. Similar to restaurant ware ice cream shells

Kath

Psittac and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Nope. This was made well before ice cream became a mass thing.

Psittac likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted