Spoon identification

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Connie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Connie

Connie New Member

This spoon was found in the rubble WWII Italy. Would anyone be able to tell me anything about it? There are no marks on it and it is silver. 20160612_223612.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Connie!

I think that the only way you'll find out anything about it is if you clean it. Assuming it is Italian and solid silver, it should have marks indicating the fineness of the silver. The marking system in Italy varied from time to time, so even the shape of the markings may be helpful.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Connie

Connie New Member

Thank you. My brother has the spoon and salt cellar. He doesn't want to clean it. It saved my dad's life in WWII. He was to clean out a house of Germans. He saw it as he was on the first step and leaned over to grab it. He saw the second step was wired. My brother says it reminds him of the hell they all went through over there.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I see. I can imagine how he feels about it. Was it already that tarnished when your Dad picked it up, or is that black from a fire?

lauragarnet and antidiem like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Clean it...clean them both....it won't change the memories one bit....and you may find out about the spoon.

Don't clean it , if that's the way it was found....& what you have is a nice spoon..
    and the memories...

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if this will help or not, especially since it's the back.
    upload_2016-8-19_8-40-48.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
  7. Connie

Connie New Member

I don't know about a fire but the home had been bombed I think so it may have been a fire. The spoon is plain on the front. The back looks like a feather pattern with a rose at the base the stem winds and trails down the handle.

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Welcome. So what is the size? Is it a salt spoon? Does the mentioned salt match?

~Cheryl

9. Connie

Connie New Member

I don't believe that they are a matched set. The spoon is about 3 inches long. I posted pictures of the salt cellar too but no one has responded to it. It almost has a paisley swirl to it with crosses in it.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I didn't see a thread for your salt cellar but I pull this photo from gallery if this is the one you mean.
    [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Connie

Connie New Member

The front of the spoon is plain. The salt cellar is roughly 2 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide. The bowl is clear glass and was broken when dad found it. The inside is washed with gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted