Featured Spode Copeland botanical pattern + date

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Apr 18, 2019.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I was sent these images and got excited on my first ID pass - I thought they were an eight piece set of "Orchid," but now see they are more likely another botanical set of flowers.

So far, I haven't seen this particular flower. Anywhoo, here are the images I have. I believe the should be an indication on each plate for the flower name... I thanks!

IMG_1463_1555603509546.jpg IMG_1462_1555603580592.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Bronwen

Morning glories & marigolds?

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  4. scoutshouse

[​IMG]

Lower right, but not the same plate and no Pic of backs... Can anyone verify the date by the stamp - haven't found the exact match on that, either :)

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Morning glory and buttercup.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Other than the red ink used in printing the stamp (my set is printed in black ink) the stamp is the same as the India Tree set I inherited from my great aunt. I believe my pieces are post WW2, but not long after.

Have you tried deciphering the numbers written in blue?

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I agree with OBB :) ... Joy.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

This is described as Fernleigh:

[​IMG]

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Bronwen

10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

For future reference, orchids have generally have 3 sepals, two petals and a lip. While the 30,000 species of orchids vary widely in how these things are configured and there are other parts that I have not mentioned, these 6 parts of an orchid would probably be visible in the type of orchid displayed on a ceramic, etc.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I tend to associate those harlequin sets in those particular colourways with the 1950s fwiw.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  12. scoutshouse

Yes, it is fernleigh and it may be a luncheon or tea set.
    I don't know if the set I'm researching includes cups...
    Possibly the flower (or bird) is marked on the back
    These were just sent to me to ask if I wanted to sell...

judy and Bronwen like this.
  13. scoutshouse

One I found earlier in orchid pattern. Really nice description of how this was specially ordered...

Vintage Copeland's Spode Orchid Luncheon Set

WWII was over, the family had sold their steel company and my Grandfather, L.M. Boyle Sr. finally had the opportunity to follow his dream, growing Cymbidium Orchids. In 1939 he bought a 77-acre ranch in Ojai, CA and soon EL Rancho Rinconada was born, fondly know as Orchid Town. He became one of the largest Orchid growers and providers West of the Mississippi. In 1945 he ordered this Rare, Limited Edition of Copeland's Spode Orchid Luncheon Plates on a special "Robins Egg Blue" china.

[​IMG]

EddieG, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

For those who don't know, this is not a cymbidium, but rather a psychopsis orchid.

15. Bronwen

I'll take your word for it. :)

16. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. I won't natter on about the possible varieties, then. :happy:

17. Bronwen

Oh, I love stuff like that. A joke that fell flat: their word was cymbidium; yours is psychopsis (soul eye?). I'll take your word for it. Remind me never to try stand up.

18. KikoBlueEyes

I was joking too. Psychopsis orchids are called butterfly orchids, though that name is applied to many orchids. I don't know how the name was derived perhaps from their appearance of an eye. Psychopsis and cymbidiums are different genus.

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

I'm less sure whether the 'opsis' part is rooted in Greek for eye, but the psych part is definitely from word for soul/spirit.

scoutshouse likes this.
  20. Bronwen

I didn't know orchids were organized by tribes. Cymbidium may not have been completely off:

Psychopsis
    Rafinesque 1835

Pronunciation:
    sye-COP-siss (click on the name to hear it spoken)
    Tribe: Cymbidieae
    Subtribe: Oncidiinae

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted