Featured Spiral Carved Lapis & low grade silver bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 4, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Another charity shop buy from the bargain rack.
    Lapis beads carved into spirals. My feeling is that they are modern made to look distressed. Research suggests Indian or Afghan origins?
    Test as silver but pretty low grade and I can’t decipher the mark on the ring.
    Each bead is 2cm long. E53DECE2-EEB2-4EEC-90CC-480130450E3A.jpeg 16DBE6DB-E243-4343-949C-315D11B57387.jpeg
    6040ADC3-D231-4981-AD82-7CF6EF6440F6.jpeg 5A5DDA7F-0B07-4127-B9E7-1595F4423A40.jpeg D2DC181F-D03A-4E2A-9926-D851315BE8F6.jpeg 33C22E25-A9EC-4B0A-9EA8-CD6287DC0C66.jpeg
    Any help welcomed please.
    Thankyou :)

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I think your assessment is accurate....Afghani or thereabouts.
    This is a nice find! You consistently have a great eye for finding the goodies!

Born2it, PepperAnna, judy and 5 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree. Always interested in seeing your finds. (And your photography!)

Debora

Born2it, PepperAnna, Houseful and 4 others like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :kiss:
    Do you think they are modern as in the last 20 years or so?

I drive to quite a few different areas for work so if I have time I always pop in to charity shops in towns I pass through. I buy the unusual or the things I don’t understand but look interesting or quality (and of course cheap). I pick up the missed Sterling and occasionally bits of gold but rarely from the cabinets. At car boot sales sellers tell me all the time ‘There’s no gold or diamonds in there’ but sometimes there is and sometimes they’ve missed the piece of costume jewellery that’s worth way more. They look stunned when I say I’m not really looking for gold as I love old costume jewellery. Nice when I find it though :p.
    Thankyou :kiss: You help so much with your knowledge, we have a great community here.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Can't say I mind finding the missed gold either. It's even more fun when the person who missed it should darned well have known better since it was actually marked!

This one, I'm not surprised. I'd have bagged it for the beads at least.

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

If they are "new" they are unusual though! You have THE eye for nice beads:woot:
    And your pics are splendid:)

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Amen to all the praise...well earned!

I don't think those beads are recent. I can't justify that...just a hunch based on almost complete ignorance about Lapis. I like it, though!

Born2it, PepperAnna, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone :)
    At £3 I don’t think I could have bought them for that even if new. I’d quite like to strip, wash and restring them if no one objects. I can’t quite decide but suspect the cord has been burned at the end rather than a glob of glue which leads to modern too.
    I love beads!

There is great satisfaction in that. I picked up a ring the other day from the costume pile from a really sharp dealer. He told me it was marked R.G , nope a badly struck 9ct :happy:
    I’ve had a good education from you all :kiss:

iPhone 11 and Camera +2 App takes all credit.

I follow those all the time, some you win and some you lose but it’s all an education and no loss if I’ve bought the losers cheaply enough.

stracci, Houseful and kyratango like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Certainly Afghan or Persian lapis.

Yeah, I do that thing of telling people I'm after costume. And sometimes reject silver: over priced, too modern.

PepperAnna, stracci and KSW like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. I tell them I'm after "older than me or crazier than me, but since they didn't make much crazier than me I settle for older." Not to mention gold and silver priced well under melt of course!

Born2it, PepperAnna and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted