Souvenir pottery N.A. rattle?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by NewEngland, Oct 12, 2020.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Is this a souvenir piece? It's a clay rattle with lots of stamped designs, but no signature or marks. It's 9.5" long and has a small black stone bear fetish and some stones tied on with string. At first, I thought it was South/Central American but the bear fetish makes me think N.A. Maybe purchased at the Smithsonian Museum of The American Indian (a great place to visit if you haven't been there) gift shop? Thanks!

clayrattlea.JPG clayrattle.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the bear fetish on it points to Zuni.........buuuut ...nuthin I recognize :sorry::sorry:

NewEngland likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It isn't Zuni. Zuni style bears can be bought wholesale, many are made in the Philippines and China.

komokwa and NewEngland like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It appears to be a contemporary crafts item, more in the "new age, spirit, shaman, pagan, wicca" category, than anything Native American.

It doesn't remotely resemble an authentic Native American item, in its material, construction, or decorating techniques.

As AJ pointed out, the added on "bear fetish" was probably purchased at a jewelry supply outlet, and is an import from China. It is just an attempt to make the whole thing look a little more "authentic."

Where an item was purchased may have nothing to do with what it is, or where it came from.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted