Souvenir dagger that tested positive for some silver content

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This souvenir dagger came from a large collection of knives and swords I had a few years ago. I thought I had sold them all and found this when I moved some things. The collection belonged to a reporter who traveled around the world in the late 1800s to about 1935. A couple of his swords had a note attached in his handwriting that read "grand tour".

Since this dagger was hidden and unwrapped for the past few years, it tarnished on the plain side. I just tested it and it was a very weak positive for silver content. Definitely not sterling. Any idea what type of metal this is? My guess is that it came from Turkey or some other middle eastern country. Any thoughts on origin? It's 11" long. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a jambiya...

~Cheryl

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. That is exactly what I thought it resembled but wanted other opinions since it isn't really an area I'm that familiar with.

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Good thing it's not the scarier jaminya.

Yeah anudder baaad pun, sry can't help it.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Might look to Morocco for its origin...

~Cheryl

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Lower grade siver is common with these knives. They may be found wherever the Beduin roam.

I have sold quite a few, the ones with the rhino horn handles fetch big money. Well, what I considered big money anyway, about $1000 on ebay to a Germancustomer with an arab name.

I'd contest the description as a souvenir, it may have been bought as such but is typical of knives made to be worn and used.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Cheryl and AF.

Cheryl - it does look closer to the Moroccan Koummya

AF, before seeing your post I was researching the souvenir pieces versus the real daggers. I was going to post again when I saw your post. The souvenir daggers are not decorated like this one. They seem to be very plain in comparison.

Draft saved Draft deleted