South American Style Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by will perez, Jun 2, 2022.

1. will perez

will perez New Member

1E4A9A97-8C11-45EA-8CF5-FA214C380589.JPG 4FF47329-6806-48E0-8A33-49D04057C709.JPG 24C450D9-F005-4F9F-8B2D-07C99D0B5B12.JPG 522B8699-EADE-4AD0-B35A-D510D2F726D7.JPG 984EB47D-EA73-4C76-8A7C-9669DC1477C6.JPG Hi,

While at an estate sale I found 2 different pots. Both were marked "Dug in the 1970s". Can anyone help me ID what they are? Thanks so much for the help!

Will

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. will perez

will perez New Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Will. Where was the sale held? Anyplace near where they might have been dug? We have several members who are knowledgeable about tribal work of the Americas. I am not one of them, but know enough to be leery of authenticity & legality of such things. Hope now the big guns will come in. @komokwa @Taupou @Mark London

komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ooopsy.....not any style I recognize /////:sorry:

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

maybe pre-co???????

need a museum to weigh in....

Bronwen, Roaring20s and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I am not a museum person and this is not my area of expertise, but I don't believe either of these are old enough to be pre-Columbian. The second one appears to have white stuff deliberately applied to make it appear to be "dirty" like from a dig? but that just looks like white stuff to me. Also appears the maker dripped or splattered a few drops of the white stuff onto the lizard jug, probably by accident. The clay used for the lizard jug doesn't look old to me and the lizard is not very well done. Even the crack across the lip of the jug looks fresh and new, no grime has collected in the hairline with use.

Welcome to the forum, @will perez :)

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I always look for wear consistent with use. Along the sides of the lizard you see wear which would be correct .However, the black on the spines is not worn where I suspect it should be if you grasped it correctly. Grasp it in your hand by the handle and see where the wear should be.

Bronwen and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted