Featured SOMETHING HISTORICAL TO READ ON A RAINY DAY....INTERESTING

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, May 31, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And some of it kind of fun.....first a bit of history...back in 1970 DH and I started a part time Office Cleaning business...with part time mostly a few college students for employees....and ran it for 21 years!! Hard work and fun....we both had our full time jobs as well, so we didn't start until like 6:00p.m. when the building closed (it was primarily one Office and it's branches we cleaned!) Most trash went into an on-site incinerator, but the two "books-if one can call them that" we have....which are falling apart and tender as butter....are kind of interesting.....was hard to get ANY kind of images out of them.....They are from slightly pre-WWI and Hartford & Springfield, CT Monthly newspaper records for just a couple a months!! HUGE...approx. 17" x 23 1/2" newspaper books- 1913 & 1914....DH wanted to read them so brought them home....they were in TERRIBLE condition then, I believe ergo the reason for throwing them out!! So, 50 years later, you can imagine, being stored in a shed, the condition of them now!!! (HE doesn't throw much away!) BUT they're headed for the trash barrel very soon now, just wanted to post a few interesting pics....on YET ANOTHER gloomy day.....at least around here........

1-PSX_20210530_213337.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213433.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213500.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213536.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213554.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213654.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213728.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213751.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Just to get the last two pics up.........some are just for the fashions, cars and ads, the others you can get a little taste of the news (what you can read of it!)....it was hard to get the pics to fit and still be large enough to read some of it! Hope not too boring!! DH was a History teacher, so, he ate and breathed this stuff!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

PSX_20210530_213827.jpg
    PSX_20210530_213929.jpg

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very interesting Aqui. I bet you could sell em with all those vintage ads. I also see a recipe for something that is French.

DizzyDaff, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are fabulous!

Debora

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Pearls, the pages are SO TENDER, just TRYING to turn a page, they tend to break and split.....I can't think there's any value there.....would love to have you be RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're REALLY not seeing the dirty, grimy edges that I trimmed in Photoshop, for the most part!!!!!!!!! It was nearly impossible to turn just ONE page, DH would take at least an inch thick stack to grab to turn..........in the hopes it wouldn't disintegrate!!! But I do agree... would be fun to look at page by page if possible!!!!

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a good read , fer sure !!!

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

HAHAHAHA!!!! AND leave it to you to find a recipe!!!:):):):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Thanks Debora, it WOULD be nice if something could be done with them, but am really afraid they may be past saving, other than maybe getting a few photos here and there, if you don't mind getting dirty!!!!!

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Komo, I just cringe at what we may be missing reading when turning a bunch of pages 'cuz they're so tender..........:rolleyes::(

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if'n ya don't turn the pages.....they don't get read at all !!!

just be tender...:happy:

Tanya, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Aqui people do scrap booking and collages with bits and pieces of old adverts. Such a shame that paper falls apart as it does. For some reason my Pillsbury cookbooks, they turn so brown and are so fragile, yet my Betty Crocker cookbook from the same time frame fair better.

DizzyDaff, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Perhaps the local historical societies would like them, despite condition.

Debora

13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

At the very least give them away locally rather than toss them. Some collector who doesn’t have a lot of money would probably cherish them. Someone who loves the history of that area would probably take them in any state of preservation. At least try giving them away first I would say.

DizzyDaff, Bingamum, Tanya and 4 others like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I want a Cole Touring Car & am dying to read the history of corsets.

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Ahem ..... :D:D:D

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Aquitaine - I think you may have a volunteer here to take them off your hands or were you just clearing your throat @Bookahtoo? ;) :playful::playful: :hilarious::hilarious:

Aquitaine, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Ohh - I was just remembering how much I love ephemera, and how Aqui and I live about 45 minutes away from each other. :rolleyes::):)

18. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

I hope you can find them a good home where they are appreciated for their social history. Still early in the War too when everyone thought it couldn't last very long so there is still a lightness and fun in the advertising. It is fragile but maybe a few bits can be salvaged and saved.

DizzyDaff, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  19. NurseRenee

NurseRenee New Member

Please donate them to the nearest historical society. They will make copies of the fragile pages and preserve them from this point on. They’re awesome! So are historical societies…
    Warmest regards Renee

Bronwen and Bingamum like this.
  20. Aquitaine

WELL, @Bookahtoo ??????????????? And by the way, I just found this one image still on my phone....sorry for the size, but I'm fascinated by TUB DRESSES, which I had never heard of before!!! Also on the opposite page, at the bottom, did you know MOTHER GRAY'S SWEET POWDERS for children killed worms!!! YUMMY!!!! NOT!!:jawdrop::jimlad::joyful: And DH has set up a table in the garage so I could TRY to look at some more images, but Book, If you have a desire to get down & dirty.....message me!!!!

20210530_160523.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted