Some cool items, many Asian, for educational value

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Feb 23, 2016.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow that banded agate carved feline is cool but that start bid lol.

3. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Springfield, thanks very much. That's more than I've ever seen on one site.

Question which I've never thought to ask before. I'm regularly scanning similar auction sites, but when I see something I might want to bid on I always know what it looks like in real life. Do any sites you know ever mention size? The cat caught my eye, 1. because I liked it. 2. because of the estimate value. But I would hesitate to bid not knowing size. One of the most recent pieces I bought - price no where near that cat - was about 25% as large as I had thought.
    16 A Large Finely Carved Banded Agate Feline. $6,000 - $8,000
    Starting bid: $4,000

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. antidiem

@TheOLdGuy , that cat actually does have a size: H: 3 W: 6 1/2 D: 2 1/4 in. but there is no mention of condition. The ears look dinged to me.

(Please let me know if the tag works, I cannot see it highlighted from the computer I'm working on.)

It is a large collection of mostly stuff that doesn't really look antique in design. Perhaps some antique pieces have been salted into there, but the basic appearance of the not so finely carved cat's face doesn't inspire me to think it's very old because it lacks the quality I would expect to see.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OH RATS!!!!! ALL THAT JADE!!!! SOMEBODY CATCH THE DROOL!!!!! AND SOOOO MUCH ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:That's drool coming out of one side there! Of COURSE I saved the site......:hungry:;):cool:

6. TheOLdGuy

Thanks, antidiem. No. I didn't really think ancient. AND, oddly, when I did that copy and paste of the cat ID I was just offering price and lot number. Didn't even think that would link to the further descrip. which includes size. Thanks for that, too. And much smaller than I thought. Good thing I didn't bid. ;)

antidiem likes this.
  7. antidiem

Admittedly, I am unfamiliar with antique oriental stone works but I'm just not seeing the quality I'd expect to see in antique pieces.

Who wants to start the bidding at a hundred bucks for an egg form? lol

8. TheOLdGuy

Would you mind moving your post so it doesn't dribble down onto mine, please.

Thanks.

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. antidiem

11. antidiem

On this go-round, I made it to the jewelry but with the exception of one or two brooches, it all looks fairly recent.

I suppose I shouldn't have expected an "auction" to necessarily be comprised of old stuff. It kind of looks like some of that stone stuff was created for this auction!

Even the "hardwood stands" do not appear to be very good quality..?

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You can call Gray's auction in Cleveland, their no. Is the 216 one at the link. I bought a specialized "militaria" item there via a phone bid and quintupled my investment when I sold it a month or two later. I had asked for more photos to assess the exact condition and I got them. I almost always bid by phone these days. Never had a problem except recently in a small-town auction where the young man the house had bidding for me had no idea that he needed to relay the current bid to me, in fact he never told me anything, but that only happened once out of dozens of successes.

13. TheOLdGuy

I gave it another shot. They do have two, lots 339 and 340. leather pigs just in case you've been looking for a matching pair.:rolleyes: Rare chance. But separate lots. Hope you win both.
    A Dimitri Omersa (1927-1985) Abercrombie and Fitch Leather Pig Foot Stool. $600 - $800 :rolleyes:

Other than that I saw nothing claiming to be old.
    Did a few searchers by category but no had-to-haves.
    They seem to be all over the country, unless there are other Gray Auctioneer and Appraisal companies. Appear to be legit.

Draft saved Draft deleted