Featured Some coins, jewellery…

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jb89, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Jb89

Jb89 Member

These were passed down to me. :)
    Not sure what they are all worth?

Attached Files:

KSW, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome Jb89. This is not an appraisal site. What we do is help identify & characterize items you show us so that you then have the information needed to search the Internet for similar items that have been sold, which will give you an idea of current value.

Cameos are my field, so looked at yours as carefully as the single pic allows. Probably you know the figure is Mercury/Hermes in his winged cap. The questions that I have that affect value are:
    • Is it only the tip of the nose that is chipped? Or is it also the chin and tip of truncation line?
    • Is it glass or hardstone (agate)? Either material can chip. I would need to have a photo taken edge on that clearly shows the line where figure & ground meet to form an opinion.
    • What size is the ring? Anything smaller than a US 6 can be a hard sell.

sabre123, Any Jewelry, KSW and 3 others like this.
  3. Jb89

Jb89 Member

Hi Bronwen! Thank you for your great explanation and questions!

I am very new to the antique world!

-Hmm looks like maybe chip near neck? I’m not sure as this is how I found it
    -No clue! I’m going to add some additional photos that I hope will help!!
    -this ring is quite small, I think likely below 6 size.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, sabre123, KSW and 3 others like this.
  5. Jb89

Jb89 Member

Additional images of ring

Attached Files:

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The first coin, 1910 Edward VII is either a full Sovereign or a Half.
    Both are 22k gold, you will have to weigh it
    Full 7.99 grams
    Half 3.99 grams

The last one is a Netherlands 5 Gulden, just under 22k
    weight should be 3.36 grams

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The mounted coin appears to be a Netherlands (Friesland) 1760, 7 Gulden. 4.97 grams, 22k gold.

8. Bronwen

I have a couple of those novelty spoons with the bowl made of shell that has been taken down to the nacre. They are not worth much & I would guess - although in today's market for collectibles, who knows? - do not have much of a market. I only have mine because the handles have little cameos at the end.

9. Jb89

Jb89 Member

I thought it might not be worth much haha

johnnycb09, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Great pix, just what was needed. The cameo is hardstone, but the ring evidently enjoyed the favor of its owner & got knocked around while being worn. You can safely use dish soap & water, or toothpaste, to remove the grime that's distorting the appearance somewhat.

Marked 14K, so that's a plus. Maybe others can work out the other marks.

upload_2023-10-29_21-28-44.png

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  11. Bronwen

I have imagined these were made for sale at seaside holiday spots. They used different types of shell for the bowl.

The gold on the claw looks like high quality. Any marking? Otherwise you will need to test. Also need to check on legality of selling wildlife product.

The beads on the first item look like genuine coral, although likely dyed. Size of the piece is not clear to me. Is it a bracelet? How does the clasp work, if there is one?

komokwa, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Jb89

Jb89 Member

IMG_2233.jpeg IMG_2231.jpeg IMG_2232.jpeg
    It’s a necklace :) here are some more photos.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2023
    johnnycb09, Any Jewelry, KSW and 2 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are real coral beads, Mediterranean coral from the look of it. That's the good stuff. The center/clasp thingie makes me wonder if this wasn't a belt that got cut down or broken and reused. The stringining is seriously weird for either a necklace or belt, but not for a homebrew restring or reconstruction. If I found that in a church rummage sale, it would be in my bag lickety split.

johnnycb09, pearlsnblume, KSW and 3 others like this.
  14. Jb89

Jb89 Member

I found this link online with similar necklace! :) https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/jewel...ue-natural-mediterranean-coral/id-j_11653422/

johnnycb09, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an antique Dutch necklace from Zeeland, probably Walcheren. Those smaller irregular beads are usually on necklaces from the early to mid 1800s. The gold is very likely 14k, but we need to see photos of the mark(s) for both the gold fineness and age.

The Dutch always used Mediterranean red coral for their coral necklaces, that is a given which is never dwelt upon in the Netherlands. An important Dutch term when selling is 'bloedkoraal'.
    The necklace you found is from a different region, and the beads are different. Consequently the value is not the same as yours, and yours is probably older.
    Please post a closeup of the mark.:)

The mounted coin is called a "halve gouden rijder". It is from Groningen (not Friesland), and it was used in the Dutch Republic. Groningen is to the east of Friesland.
    I don't know if you are Dutch or can read Dutch, look under 'Type II':

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouden_rijder

The pin back is pre-1950 on an earlier cross construction. There should be a mark.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like u also have a victorian gold mounted lion claw.....

maybe a tiger claw....... a zoologist will know for sure....

Bronwen, johnnycb09, Jb89 and 2 others like this.
  17. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

True, the coin from the 1700’s is a so called Gouden Rijder (golden rider) from one of the provinces Groningen en Ommelanden. This is the 7 guilder version and contains rougly 5 grams of gold. Like my example your coin seems to be minted in Harderwijk in likely 1761. That makes this coin a rare one and more valuable than other older Dutch coins that are worth not much more than scrap value.

Bronwen, komokwa, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I deleted this part of post #15. That post was in the middle of the night, but I took another look at the coin brooch. Seems like the mount isn't soldered on the coin, so it still has value as a proper antique 'halve gouden rijder' coin. As such it is much more valuable than as brooch.:)
    Just to be sure, could you check if it isn't soldered?

Ex Libris, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Ditto.
    If the claw also has a Dutch connection, it could be a tiger claw from the Dutch East Indies. And I agree, 19th century.
    And another request for possible marks.:)

Tiger claws from the Dutch East Indies were generally mounted either in Indonesia or in Singapore.

[​IMG]

Ex Libris, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

These were never belts. But I agree, there is something odd about the stringing, with those strange crochet-like ends. It could be a home re-string.
    There is also something unusual going on with the backs of the crescent shaped parts of the clasp, some black stuff has been added.

Those thin strings tend to wear, and repairs aren't always sympathetic to the piece.
    Mine was re-strung when it was still my mother's, and non-period gold 'lakbolletjes', lacquer ball thingies, were added (what are those called in English?):

DSC07891 (640x362).jpg

Ex Libris, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted