Some Antique (Truly) Furniture, Part 5

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by kentworld, Jul 14, 2014.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Last 2: a cute little sewing box (at first I thought tea caddy) and a small oak side table with a split top and not-so-good repair. I thought the old metal support for the table legs was interesting.

upload_2014-7-14_10-25-1.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Re the cute little table. The top is oak, but what is the bottom?? Where is Brad?

And what's with everyone buying tables lately? I just bought two. One rather like yours but a bit larger, and another almost the same but it's just a little fellow. (If I get another one that seats six, I'll have Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear.) And Sue wants one.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id have thought tea caddy as well.Maybe it was converted? Whats the bottom part look like? I meant the well of the box !

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have a tilt-top table about that same size that I picked out when we were emptying Mom's house. It has the same metal support thing for the connection of the legs to the upright. The tilt mechanism is attached underneath on the same kind of crosswise wood that's under the top of this one.

I wonder whether the base and top are a marriage since the woods are so different looking?

5. kentworld

Bakers, your guess is as good as mine! Furniture is unknown territory to me.!

Johnny, the "well" of the sewing box is empty, so it could've been made from a caddy. I dunno!

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think what Johnny wants to know is the inside of the box lined, or raw or finished wood? That would make a difference to the original purpose.

7. kentworld

Duh, me. I can't remember... :facepalm:

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sure the box is not a dressing box? Not sure if that is the right term .... meant for toiletries, etc. Table seems to be a marriage and a bit of a mess to me. It is legitimately old. Top is oak. Base may be walnut but hard to tell from these pics.

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

10. kentworld

Thanks Brad and Susan. I'm sure you're right. We thought that the fabric covered bit was a pin cushion. Too bad that the original contents weren't included!

11. shelly

shelly New Member

agree with Brad once again, no surprise there. toiletry box, Victorian. Table is a marriage. Base is late 18th century, looks like mahogany. It was originally a candle stand, probably had a round top, smaller than what's on it now.

Draft saved Draft deleted