Solid Copper Vase Like Thingy

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 2, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Any idea what this may be? About 10 1/4" tall. Very heavy.Cannot stay straight because of that thing on the bottom.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a bronze cemetery vase. The knob on the bottom allows the vase to be lifted from an underground mounted cylinder where the vase is house up-side-down when not in use. When in use, the vase covers the hole. This vase was most likely stolen from a cemetery at some point. I suppose it could have been legitimately removed or a sample but less likely.

3. verybrad

Here is one stored ......
    [​IMG]

and one in use .......

[​IMG]

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

So Kardi......still like picken up strange stuff ?? LOL !!!!! :wacky::wacky::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

YUK !!!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

Thank you verybrad. Thats what I thought when I first saw it here and am glad you provide pictorial evidence. I was at a cemetery a week ago on Memorial Day and saw similar things.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Have to concur. They are on several of my familys' graves. Much easier to mow the grass with the stored right.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  7. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm wondering just where he's been pickin'! LOL.

cxgirl, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Having an ashless one is bad luck

KingofThings likes this.
  9. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

For real? Then it goes in the dumster.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!!!

11. KingofThings

Noooooooo.... :(

komokwa likes this.
  12. verybrad

Find a local cemetery and see if they have need for it. I work part time for a cemetery and I would say that over half the vases are missing. These are expensive to buy so I am sure some family would be glad to have theirs replaced. They have gone to cheaper aluminum and plastic ones these days. Even the aluminum ones will get stolen. The plastic ones really seem to be the best option any more.

13. KingofThings

The punishment should be severe methinks. :rage:
    Perhaps replace one for a veteran? :)

komokwa likes this.
  14. KingofThings

A honorable idea Mr. Brad. :)

15. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

It's not for a person's ashes -- it's a "permanent-type" vase for flowers on a grave/gravestone around here anyway. People around here who are cremated are usually (if not kept by family members) placed in a columbarium on the cemetery grounds.

Bakersgma, KingofThings and verybrad like this.
  16. verybrad

Correct. For flowers. Urns for ashes have lids. Besides placing them in columbariums, there are special tombstones that have their own niches for ashes incorporated into them and they can also just be buried. They even make special burial vaults to put the urns in before burying, though this is certainly optional. There are few regulations about the disposition of cremains (at least here in IL). I have buried ashes in a cardboard box, a large glass beer bottle, and in the guy's own briefcase.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting. Over here, ashes tend to be scattered in cemeteries. Although a friend buried her mum's in the back garden. They sold the house a few years later, so I've often wondered.......!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted