Featured SO THIS ISN'T NEEDLEWORK, JUST NEEDLES......not sure what kind they are

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Aquitaine, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But I have a thought ......first here they are............and hopeful some one or two of you can tell me if I'm on the right track or not!!! Was digging in my Mom's old sewing firkin....and came across them in some heavily waxed old papers......

TRIANGLE SHAPED NEEDLES SZ 15.jpg

TRIANGLE SHPD NEEDLES SZ 12.jpg

My Dad had a couple of 40'+ sailboats over the years, and my grandfather on my Mom's side was also always around them as well (my Mom also had kept and I still have somewhere his sail mending tools/palm).....as stated on the images, the needles are triangular in shape.....I don't remember seeing them before, but, I do remember either Mom or Dad on rare occasion mending some sails.....not sure they have anything to do with that, but that's my ONE thought!!! Their size and length is mentioned on both......any sailors out there or any other members with constructive leads/thoughts if I'm way off beat, GREATLY appreciated, as ALWAYS, and THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Enjoy the rest of the night!!! NASTY weather across the country, so stay safe everyone!!!​

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they look made to use on heavy fabric ......so maybe nautical..;)

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think nautical too, from their appearance and from the way you described the packaging to keep them safe from rust. Would their flatness allow for them to pass through the weave of a canvas, rather than to break the woven fibers of a canvas? If so, this seems very ingenious to me! ;)

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I have many of these large triangular needles, I found them in a leather crafting kit with all the cutting tools etc.
    Described as felting or leather needles.

Figtree3, antidiem, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Back when I was a much younger person, I had a Hobie Cat (catamaran) or two. I don't specifically remember mending sails but I do remember the massive amount of "sailing stuff" available in specialized stores and catalogs.

Anyway, some now seems to be on Amazon as is almost everything. I thought you might be able to tell if the needles are similar to yours.

Here is an example of a Smith listing.

Wm. Smith & Son Assorted Steel Sailmaker's Needles #14-18: 20 Pack https://a.co/d/2UZgUTY

Part of the description

Features & details
    • Made by hand, and not to cut the Twine; Tapered triangular point helps needle penetrate and pass through heavy material
    • Accommodates thread, yarn, and twine up to 1mm
    • Contains 20 assorted-size sailmaker's needles in plastic tube
    • 14-18 Gauge
    • Made in England

Figtree3, antidiem, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THANK YOU ALL!!!! AND STILL made in ENGLAND, as @say_it_slowly's link says!!!! And my only hunch was ON target!!! WHAT a bunch of LOVELY PEEPS I'm in with!!!!:singing::singing::singing::kiss::joyful::):happy:

antidiem likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a leather awl sewing tool , with waxed thread ..and 3 sided needle.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted