Snuff bottles?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about these at all, I actually thought they were perfume bottles when I bought them but I’m still not sure. They are 3 and a half inches long. Are the hard plastic stoppers broken as they have this squashy paper at the ends? Are they likely to be replacement stoppers? I’ve no idea if they are modern or where they were likely to have been made. Any info please anyone? Thank you.
    ~ F8670797-BA88-45ED-8C25-D25C3E6114AC.jpeg F12028C9-8ECF-4A6E-A5A9-A5010A2DF074.jpeg 23C22B0B-F0E2-4B41-AA17-6E8DF7829A2E.jpeg

Jaena and judy like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I have a couple with the same tops, painted scenes inside. I've called them perfumes, but who knows. One of them has what I would call la Japanese signature inside. Certainly oriental.Probably 20th century, post war. We've never removed the stoppers.

Jaena, judy and Houseful like this.
  3. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but in the chemistry world stoppers are often wrapped in thin paper to prevent them from being "stuck" to the empty flask (or whatever.)

Jaena, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I've been around a long time and never heard that one. Nor do I recall having come across bottles with paper wrapped around the stoppers.
    Thanks for the tip.

Grateful and judy like this.
  5. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

I do believe they are snuff bottles. These look newer to me. However, the stoppers would have a thin shaft with a tiny spoon at the end. But, they are often broken off.

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted